BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clicking noise in front left wheel area HELP!

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 13:18 #192940 by mdog18
Hey guys,

As of yesterday I've noticed a clicking type of noise coming from the front left tyre/wheel area. It increases in speed as I accelerate and vice versa. Any ideas on what this could be? I jacked up the car and spun the wheel using my hand and it still makes the clicking noise (but much softer as its low speed). I was thinking it could be a worn CV joint but I'm not really sure.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? The garage cant fit me in till next week so any help would be massively appreciated as I need use of the car!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 May 2018 13:28 #192942 by Lambert
Have you still got the factory hub arrangement or similar manual hubs because under normal circumstances these isolate the cv and it doesn't rotate and can't make the noise. I would suggest having the wheel off and a hard look at the rotating parts to make sure nothing is catching.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 13:37 #192943 by mdog18
Thanks Lambert - I had just popped a tyre and replaced it a few days back and I was in a rush while fitting the spare so it turns out ALL the bolts were extremely loose. I gave them all a good tighten and the noise seems to have vanished. Silly me..

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 14:23 #192944 by mickt
Did you use a torque wrench set to the recommended figure though?

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 14:26 #192945 by mdog18
I did not as I dont have a torque wrench, I just tightened the bolts until they wouldnt move any further :/

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 14:35 #192947 by mickt
It is dangerous to not have wheel bolts at the correct torque as both under and over torque can cause wheel loss. It is amazing how many people do not realise the importance of this. It became so serious a problem that all tyre places have to use them when replacing the wheels after repair. The only problem with that is some still tighten them with the long bar and then check with the torque wrench. Trouble is if they have over-torqued the nuts with the lever the torque wrench will not pick that up. What they should do is fit the nuts/bolts and hand tighten them and then use the wrench to set the correct figure. Every vehicle will tend to have a different figure too!

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 14:41 #192948 by mdog18
Good to know, thanks Mickt. Ill order a torque wrench and double check the figures once it arrives.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds