BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Settting differential backlash, side adjuster tension?

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2018 09:45 #192615 by OlaGB
Trying to read up on the backlash adjusting, preparing for installing a air locker in my rear diff.

When i read the manual, i have a hard time understanding how to tension the side adjusters correctly.
I can see that i have to set the carriers down with 15nm, and tighten the side adjusters until they touch the bearings to "prevent from inclining"..
The way i read this, is to just "hand tighten" the side adjusters to get rid of any play on the bearings.
Then set backlash to 0.10-0.20 mm using both side gears, while "obtaining preload on differetial side bearing".

The amount of preload is never mentioned, this is where i`m lost.

All i can find, is to measure the amount of force needed to turn the incoming bevel gear with a torque measure, after tightening the cariers fully down. Are they really basing the preload, on the total amount of friction in the differential??

In some youtube video`s ive seen on the topic for other makes, they say things like "hand tight + 1/4 turn on one of the side adjusters" or similar.. Which is alot easier to relate to.

I`m not experienced on setting up differentials, and it might be the language barrier putting me off a bit, so i would be very happy for someone explaining how to do this right..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 May 2018 16:31 #192625 by Riccy
Its not that difficult (he says!)...

You need only one special tool which is something like this:

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cm220-dial-test-indicator/

This is a dial indicator which can be used to measure small amounts of in/out movement accurately.

You then need to follow the instructions in the workshop manual:

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

The specified amount of backlash is 0.1 - 0.2mm. use the dial indicator to measure as in the instructions and its pretty easy.

Finally make sure to do the chalk test on the gear teeth to make sure the wear locations are the same as before disassembly. If out then adjust in/out on each side at the same time to bring it back to the original position.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 May 2018 16:37 #192626 by Riccy
Ah, re-read and im on the wrong subject.

Preload. It is set by the backlash and a torque wrench:

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2018 17:26 #192628 by OlaGB

Riccy wrote: Ah, re-read and im on the wrong subject.

Preload. It is set by the backlash and a torque wrench:

Yes thats the only thing ive found, but who has a 0.2nm wrench? :D

Seriously, you dont know what friction you are measuring by this method, only the total amount of friction.. Could just as well be the pinion gear bearings that has all the friction without me knowing. Thats why i dont understand that this is a good way to do it.
Well that, and the fact that i need a 0.2nm wrench to do it ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 May 2018 17:35 #192629 by Riccy
0.2nm, yes I do :-) Im an electrician and we have them as a screwdriver for setting torque on terminals.

not that expensive...

uk.farnell.com/c/tools-production-suppli...n-m=0.2n-m-to-1.5n-m

though mine is a VDE rated one which is a lot more!

I agree that its not an ideal way to do it, but thats what we have to work with :laugh:

More
16 May 2018 10:20 - 16 May 2018 10:22 #192746 by facade
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationUse a spring balance like this one

You set the pinion preload first with the crush spacer, then check the side bearings.

You want the maximum reading off the scale- the force to start it moving, not the force to keep it going round, which will be less.

You can calibrate the balance first with a small bag of sugar or something, checked against scales you know are right.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 16 May 2018 10:22 by facade.

More
16 May 2018 10:43 #192748 by yakuza
I guess you understand why I caved in and just did this by feel and gefühl Ola...

But i have heard that a spring balance scale like the one from ebay above here is ok to do this.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2018 12:45 #192754 by OlaGB

yakuza wrote: I guess you understand why I caved in and just did this by feel and gefühl Ola...

But i have heard that a spring balance scale like the one from ebay above here is ok to do this.

Yes, my conclusion is the same, wing it by feel ;)

Comparing it against stock will probably tell me what i need to know anyway.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds