BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing the steering wheel

More
07 May 2018 11:43 #192474 by Bosanek
To make the story short, I would like to swap the steering wheel between my old and new Jimny, as my old one has a leather steering wheel and I like that.

Both steering wheels are the same design (2006-2014), and have air bags.

Has anyone removed this type of steering wheel and can it be done without major considerations? I am mostly concerned about the air bag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2018 20:19 #192526 by Darthblaker7474
- Disconnect Battery, make sure steering is locked

- Undo two bolts under wheel

- Carefully remove airbag, making sure clock-spring does not spin too far (otherwise it will break)

- Remove nut, place back on so when you're removing the wheel it does not slap you in the face :woohoo:

- Try and remember how your wheel was placed on the wheel originally (mine's still wonky)

More
09 May 2018 17:10 - 09 May 2018 17:11 #192563 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Removing the steering wheel
I just did thisa week ago.

more or less like the description above:

disconnect battery
two torx screws on either sides of the steering wheel to loosen airbag
small yellow clip in the center of the center connection on the airbag to be lifted carefully, then unplug the wires.
mark center of the steering wheel with a pen or make a mark with something sharp.
loosen the nut, and wiggle the steering wheel until it stop against the nut.
reverse to get it back.

The leather wheel feels so much better!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 17:11 by yakuza.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 20:34 #192570 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Removing the steering wheel
Any ideas on putting these newer wheels on older jimnys? Same airbag connections?

More
11 May 2018 06:35 #192592 by yakuza
2004 Jimny has more or less the same design as yours and a leather steering wheel I think. (Norwegian models)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
24 May 2018 10:37 #192907 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Removing the steering wheel
Thank you very much for these guidelines.

What are the major risks during removal and installation, and in which steps?
I suppose if the airbag fires that I will need a new one at a horrendous price?

Can it happen that the ECU recognizes that the air bag had been fiddled with after everything is done and flash some fault light?

More
25 May 2018 05:03 - 25 May 2018 05:07 #192929 by yakuza
With a disconnected battery i cannot see any risk of having the airbag blowing.
edit: You should use the same airbag of the same design and in the same configuration. switching to another airbag or from another year, model or design could make such ECU errors as you say or even make it not blow the way it should.

And keep the nut on the axle as everyone says to avoid getting the wheel in your face when it comes loose.

Biggest risk is you get a loose steering wheel afterwords if you do not tighten it properly, or the airbag will not blow because you forgot to reconnect it properly.

Other than that you will risk more pollution as you will drive more and longer, cause the leather wheel feels so much better :)

I had an old Baleno in my garage to pick the engine, and me and some mates had a great time sitting in the back seat while we blew the front air bags. totally worth it!
DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!

Last edit: 25 May 2018 05:07 by yakuza.

More
25 May 2018 07:05 - 25 May 2018 07:12 #192932 by Bosanek
OK, so let me se if I got it all right:

1. Battery disconnected, steering locked, wheel position in relation to the steering column marked. Do the front road wheels need to be pointing straight when the steering gets locked?
2. When I loosen the two torx screws on the sides of the steering wheel completely, I begin pulling the air bag module gently one side a bit then the other side a bit.
3. When the air bag module is slightly off the steering wheel, I poke behind it and look for a yellow clip or some clock spring (I suppose that is the same thing?).
4. I somehow lift or disconnect that clip or spring - do I remove it with a flat screwdriver, or pointy pliers, or press it in in order to disengage it or?
5. I disconnect the electrical connect connector for the air bag and remove the air bag.
6. I loosen the big nut on the steering column which holds the wheel in place, but do not remove the nut completely?
7. I wiggle the steering wheel until it snaps loose and gets thrown into my face, but the nut (which I had just loosened but not removed) will stop it in its tracks.
8. Then I loosen the nut completely and remove the steering wheel altogether?
9. Will any spring or something get separated from the steering column when the nut is completely removed and the steering wheel taken off?

I suppose that the installation is the reverse procedure, but I have some questions there too:
1. After putting the wheel back on the steering column (and aligning its marks with the marks left on the column), is it sufficient just to tighten the nut or should the wheel be somehow snapped or locked into place first?
2. What is the tightening torque of the main steering column nut?
3. I will return the same air bag which was on the vehicle - only the wheel will be swapped.
4. When returning the air bag into place and after connecting its electrics, what exactly should be done with that yellow clip or that spring to return it into place properly?
5. Tighten the two torx screws and all should be done?

I know I am nitpicking about all this but I am generally afraid tampering with the steering and the air bags, so I need some clarifications to ease my fears.
Last edit: 25 May 2018 07:12 by Bosanek.

More
25 May 2018 08:30 #192934 by yakuza

Bosanek wrote: OK, so let me se if I got it all right:

1. Battery disconnected, steering locked, wheel position in relation to the steering column marked. Do the front road wheels need to be pointing straight when the steering gets locked?
2. When I loosen the two torx screws on the sides of the steering wheel completely, I begin pulling the air bag module gently one side a bit then the other side a bit.
3. When the air bag module is slightly off the steering wheel, I poke behind it and look for a yellow clip or some clock spring (I suppose that is the same thing?).
4. I somehow lift or disconnect that clip or spring - do I remove it with a flat screwdriver, or pointy pliers, or press it in in order to disengage it or?
5. I disconnect the electrical connect connector for the air bag and remove the air bag.
6. I loosen the big nut on the steering column which holds the wheel in place, but do not remove the nut completely?
7. I wiggle the steering wheel until it snaps loose and gets thrown into my face, but the nut (which I had just loosened but not removed) will stop it in its tracks.
8. Then I loosen the nut completely and remove the steering wheel altogether?
9. Will any spring or something get separated from the steering column when the nut is completely removed and the steering wheel taken off?

I suppose that the installation is the reverse procedure, but I have some questions there too:
1. After putting the wheel back on the steering column (and aligning its marks with the marks left on the column), is it sufficient just to tighten the nut or should the wheel be somehow snapped or locked into place first?
2. What is the tightening torque of the main steering column nut?
3. I will return the same air bag which was on the vehicle - only the wheel will be swapped.
4. When returning the air bag into place and after connecting its electrics, what exactly should be done with that yellow clip or that spring to return it into place properly?
5. Tighten the two torx screws and all should be done?

I know I am nitpicking about all this but I am generally afraid tampering with the steering and the air bags, so I need some clarifications to ease my fears.

Nitpicking is good when it comes to safety!

1. Good. pointing wheels forward straight is recommended yes. keep it tidy.
2. yes. more or less straight out, no hassle as i remember it..
3. there is enough wire to flip it around to allow easy acces to the connections.
4. The connector in the center of the airbag module has a little yellow clip in the middle of it that i lifted just a bit like 5mm with a flat screwdriver. after that the connector can be lifted and unhooked. My yellow clip broke a bit but still good. I should have used my reading glasses. :)
5. also disconnect the single ground cable on the side in addition to the center connector.
6. correct
7. correct
8. correct
9. no, nothing else will come loose.

installation:
1. just to place steering so the splines enter correctly and tighten the nut. You might have to try different entering places for the splines to find the correct straight position.
2. Dunno, the torque might be found in the service manual. I am used to tighten nuts so i trust my own force enough to not over tighten but still tighten sufficiently. But using a torque wrench is allways recommended.
3. good. or similar or same series or year model and with the same connectors.
4. connect single ground cable which is a common flat connector, and then hook up the center connector pressing it firmly into place, and depress yellow clip after connecting.
5. correct.

five minutes in shows the connectors.

• kamkaran
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 12:52 #192938 by kamkaran
Replied by kamkaran on topic Removing the steering wheel
Three points you have to take a consideration:
- Disconnect Battery, make sure steering is locked

- Undo two bolts under wheel

- Carefully remove airbag, making sure clock-spring does not spin too far

More
25 May 2018 20:43 - 25 May 2018 20:44 #192951 by Bosanek
Thank you so much for all the help and guidance!

A video truly speaks for a million words. Now I am confident in doing this job.

What mostly frightened me is the sheer amount of harsh warnings written all over the place in the chapter about the steering system in Jimny's service manual. There are more warnings there than in a field mine's installation and decomissioning manual.
Last edit: 25 May 2018 20:44 by Bosanek.

More
26 May 2018 06:09 #192953 by mlines
After disconnecting the battery simply wait 30 minutes for anything in the system to discharge. The worry being that the electronic components in the car have capacitors in them which hold a little charge. Disconnect the battery, have a coffee, start work without worry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds