BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

front hub , loud burrrr vibration noise??!!!

• little boghopper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2018 13:06 #192438 by little boghopper
front hub , loud burrrr vibration noise??!!! was created by little boghopper
hello all, since going down a v rough 3 mile stone track to get to a site in scotlandshire, i,m getting a loud intermittent vibration buurrrr burr burrr
noise (stop laughing, how do you describe a noise!!) from the front drivers hub, pot holes bring it on , and if you drive on the rumble strip, i replaced the king pin bearings this time last year. and the swivel joint is now leaking (dripping) i hope its not the cv joint, i was thinking it might be the half shaft vibrating? and the oil seal has gone and needs replacing. my front hubs are permanently locked, (no vacuum pipes) would a quick temp fix work if i fitted locking hubs and fitted them so the front drive shafts dont turn, ie in 4x2.

any help ideas would be a great help, i really need it sorting now. cheers chaps Liam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
06 May 2018 16:54 #192441 by Riccy
Sounds like front wheel bearings. Martin sells in the bigjimny store

manual hubs would solve it (sort of) if its shaft or diff related, not otherwise.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
07 May 2018 07:49 #192464 by kirkynut
How have you locked up the front hubs? Could it be the internal part of the hub is being allowed to partly disengage on a bump and the noise is the shaft splines spinning inside of the hub.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• little boghopper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2018 08:49 #192466 by little boghopper
Replied by little boghopper on topic front hub , loud burrrr vibration noise??!!!
hey riccy, not sure if its the bearings, when on ramp for mot last week everything was tight, no play (a little in swivel joint)
and wheel spun fine. humm

• little boghopper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2018 08:56 #192467 by little boghopper
Replied by little boghopper on topic front hub , loud burrrr vibration noise??!!!
hey kirkynut, i dont know mate that could be a reason eh. when i bought her , the vac pipes were blocked off with bolts, and the
shafts turn all the time, is there a way i can somehow disengage the hubs? i would of thought they are unlocked until u press the button and the vacuum engages them? not sure exactly how system works. so i must be able to have them unlocked?
in 4x2? saw a thread on here , someone had drilled and stuck an m8 bolt in, i,m taking that was to engage them, so with no bolt they should be unlocked?? confused.

More
07 May 2018 18:54 #192482 by kirkynut
Have a read of this thread I started:

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...ed-hubs?limitstart=0

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds