BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

R72 Intermediate Prop Change

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2018 10:26 #192268 by Venter
R72 Intermediate Prop Change was created by Venter
Not wanting to hijack Riccy's other thread, I thought I'd try get a bit more gearbox related info in a separate one...

I've got a rattly noise coming from 3rd and 4th gears and see that there is oil splatter on the underbody behind the gearbox, so am going try sort out the intermediate prop. Vehicle is a standard 2009 Jimny (VVT, R72, etc). This will be an initial attempt at solving the problem, before moving onto more complex fixes such as gearbox bearing rebuild.

The first idea was to epoxy it where the leak comes out, but have instead found an intermediate prop off a 2013 model for a good price. As far as I understand it, these propshafts have been modified so that they don't leak, so am going to fit this instead.

First question is, will this fit a 2009 gearbox as-is (i.e. bolt pattern, etc still the same etc)?

And, should I change the rear gearbox oil seal since I'll already be under the vehice (...and can this be done without opening the g-box)?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2018 20:12 #192281 by j999pre
Prop should be the same as long as it's off a manual car. Some autos are different spline. Bolt pattern will be the same.

You can change the oil seal with the gearbox in place.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2018 20:49 #192283 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic R72 Intermediate Prop Change
Thanks James, that pretty much covers it, shouldn't be too difficult then.

Got the Trailgear t-box reduction set on its way from the US so will get this done at the same time as that, next weekend. Was going to get the gearset from a UK vendor, but have saved a crapload by buying direct from USA, even factoring in freight.

More
30 Apr 2018 07:39 - 30 Apr 2018 07:41 #192291 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic R72 Intermediate Prop Change
i didn't know that the propshaft had been changed from 2009 to 2013. Mine is a 2005.
But I know the oil seal has an upgrade.

any info on this?

Edit: I have a 2013 gearbox with a 2005 propshaft so it will fit the other way around as well.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2018 07:41 by yakuza.

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Apr 2018 18:55 #192307 by Venter
Done quite a bit of reading over the past couple days, definitely a different layout to the propshaft beyond just the oil seal change. I can't find where I read it though, otherwise I'd have put in the link.

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2018 17:15 #192336 by Venter

yakuza wrote: i didn't know that the propshaft had been changed from 2009 to 2013. Mine is a 2005.
But I know the oil seal has an upgrade.

any info on this?

Edit: I have a 2013 gearbox with a 2005 propshaft so it will fit the other way around as well.

Found the thread in the end...

www.bigjimny.com/forum/7-jimny-technical...ain-grrrr.html#71942

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds