BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

LED light bar mount HELP!!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Apr 2018 05:22 #191674 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
They act as a trap for grit and other contamination which can abrade in to the paint leaving scratches and over time rust.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdog18

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2018 08:00 - 14 Apr 2018 08:35 #191676 by Max Headroom
Lambert is exactly right; dirt will somehow migrate under the attached magnets - I imagine through capillary-action as moisture gets underneath, dragging any adjacent particles of dirt with it.
Once the dirt has got underneath, any vibrations or sight flexing of the bodywork starts the process of damaging the paint or clear-coat. We are talking about microscopic levels really, but any damage can still be visible with the naked eye.
(If you look across your paintwork on a bright day you will see millions of little fine skate-marks, almost like extremely fine spider webs - this is where paintwork has been washed with sponges - which are known to harbour particles of grit - and is a much lesser form of the same type of damage you can expect under the magnets without the tape)

The idea of the blade-tape is that it fixes a barrier to the paint, rather like a secondary paint surface in itself.
The tape is clear, you can't see it unless you really look hard, and if you make it to the exact size of the roof bar it is unlikely it will be seen at all.

As for any fading of the paint I'd say that is the least of your worries and will be negligible.

If you are as anal as I am about washing polishing and detailing, there is a fascinating website called DETAILING WORLD that explains techniques and measures to look after your paintwork and interior, not to mention reviews on products available. Be warned however that detailing can become an addictive obsession! :woohoo:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 14 Apr 2018 08:35 by Max Headroom.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2018 10:59 #191679 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
Ahh ok I understand now - sounds like the tape is the easiest remedy, I'll take a look on fleabay. Thanks for all your help!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2018 17:02 #191684 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
Dust and dirt gets in between the two surfaces and the minute fibration ends in marking the paint, just some clear vinyl would do the trick cut a couple of mm bigger than the bracket base

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds