BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

LED light bar mount HELP!!

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 05:35 #191551 by mdog18
LED light bar mount HELP!! was created by mdog18
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 36' LED light bar and for some reason it didn't come with any mounting brackets!! I was hoping someone could give me some advice on where I could buy a bracket/brackets for the light bar that doesn't require me to drill into the roof of my Jimny? Does this even exist?

Thank you!
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Apr 2018 05:44 #191554 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
Mount it onto your roofrack. Holes and secure mounting needed for them for two resons:

1. it will fall off or be noisy if not a secure mount

2. it will get stolen if not difficult to remove (mine lasted less than 2 months before some shite was away with it).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
11 Apr 2018 14:49 #191569 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
You need a nice rack ;)

I reckon someone needs to make a bracket that fits under the front feet of the standard roofrails on a hardtop and has a bar across the roof to attach a light-bar too... ;)
Attachments:

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 16:08 #191572 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
I have a roof rack already on the car but what brackets should I buy to mount the bar onto the rack?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Apr 2018 17:52 #191582 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
make some brackets. Figure out the size of the mounting screw on the lightbar (usually M6), couple of L brackets should get it bolted down. Have a look in the diy shops for some stainless decent sized L brackets and some M6 stainless screws/bolts and away you go :-)

I, ironically, found the unused factory brackets for my stolen light bar the other day, going for a pint plus the price of postage if your desperate?!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 20:08 #191596 by mdog18
Ok sounds good - I'll shop around and let you know.

Thanks!

More
11 Apr 2018 20:20 #191599 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
Type this in flea-bay.
led light bar mounting brackets

It's been fettled just a tad.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 16:24 #191664 by mdog18
I've decided to go for powerful magnet bases that screw onto the light bar. The magnets hold up to 110kg objects and I'm fitting 3 along the base of the light bar so should be pretty solid!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 17:55 - 13 Apr 2018 17:55 #191665 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic LED light bar mount HELP!!
You will need something underneath them to stop them marking the paint work if your worried about it.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 17:55 by Daniel30.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 18:47 #191666 by mdog18
I was wondering about how much damage would occur as a result...I was thinking of putting 3M strips or something similar to protect the paint. What would happen without something underneath? Would it remove the paint entirely?

More
13 Apr 2018 22:40 - 13 Apr 2018 23:12 #191672 by Max Headroom
I used very strong magnetic aerial mounts on a pristine car that I was paranoid about damaging.
I doubt very much you will be fitting and removing the light bar as regularly as I did my aerial, which only stayed on for several weeks at a time, so this could be a solution....

My preparation was to properly wash, polish, and wax the area where I was going to fit the magnet.
I then put a layer of helicopter blade anti-erosion tape on my paintwork where I was going to fit the aerial. This is freely available on eBay and is often used by cyclists wanting to protect bicycle frames.
Its a tough fairly thick, clear vinyl tape that will stick well and remain pretty much unaffected by weather.

Search eBay for "Heli tape"

Have a look at this link.... Helicopter blade tape

As with all tape,eventually the edges will begin to lift, this is when dirt and grime will get under the tape and potentially cause damage to the paintwork.
When this happens simply remove the tape, and repeat the preparation steps and fit fresh tape.
(It might be worth having a weatherproof quick-disconnect plug for the lights to help facilitate this)

EDIT:
The only difficulty I have encountered with blade-tape is fitting it to an area where you have 'compound curves' ie a multi curved surface such as a ball.
If you try to stretch the tape too much, it can lose its adhesion properties slightly and become unstuck later.
To stop it 'rucking up' on such curves, cut slots or vee's into the tape to help it follow the contours.
For very gentle compound curves, you might get away with using a hottish hair dryer to soften the tape as you apply it in order to gently stretch it without losing adhesion.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 23:12 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdog18

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 23:20 #191673 by mdog18
Sounds like an idea I'll have a look - Is the issue with the magnets on the paint that eventually the sun fades the paint and when you remove the magnets there's a dark spot? Or does it actually damage the paint like removing clearcoat/

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds