BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear axle play - advice needed

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 19:45 #191668 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Re:Rear axle play - advice needed
So...

i ordered new bearings and got delivered wrong ones, so I ordered again and after almost two weeks finnaly got them. Yay! But, there's a problem.

Right half-axle has about 1mm play when in air, but so do new bearings so all is OK and I'll leave that bearing alone for now.

Left half-axle had 4mm play so I put new bearing kit and guess what? It still has 4mm play. Outer bearing shell floats in axle casing (in-out) after tightening bearing retainer. And I cant figure out why. When pulled outwards the bearing seal sits tight against retainer, so I imagine there should be some sort of insert between inner bearing side and axle housing but that makes no sense. Or am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2018 07:40 #191675 by mlines
Did the bearings have a built in spacer (they should do) and did you fit them the right way around (spacer to the outside)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2018 17:06 #191685 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Re:Rear axle play - advice needed
Yes and yes.

I figured it out. Bearing retainer thingy is bent outwards, probably from when I hit the curb with inner wheel side last year (snow and ice and MT's). Since the bearing and retainer are already pressed on half-axle, I'll just make a 2.3mm spacer and put in front of the bearing on inner side. No point in grinding new retainer and bearing off.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds