BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transfer box exchange

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2018 19:34 #190929 by Stumpjumper
Transfer box exchange was created by Stumpjumper
I'm hoping to switch transfer boxes on my 2005 pre vvt Jim over Easter. It's another attempt to rid myself of some irritating resonance I've been suffering for yonks.
As a means of making my life easier ....could you tell me if the alloy supports for the transfer box have to be unbolted, or can the box be manhandled out of the way by just unbolting the three rubber mountings holding the supports to the chassis.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2018 19:43 #190932 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Transfer box exchange
Yes just remove all the prop bolts unclip wires
Remove the knob then the three rubber mount nuts then wiggle it out

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2018 20:19 #190933 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Transfer box exchange
Yeah thought that would be the case, cheers Jack

More
28 Mar 2018 07:15 #190952 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Transfer box exchange
I removed the knob, propshafts and cables, had massive trouble undoing the 3 nuts, which wrecked the rubbers (think I had to nutsplit 2 off) then supported the weight of the box and removed the left single point mounting with the 4 bolts that you can get off.

still took a bit of wriggling to get it out, and it is heavier than you think when you are lying on your back reaching up.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2018 09:09 #190956 by Stumpjumper
Yeah, I'm always amazed I get anything done in what little space we've got. I was under there last night ,wd40 & 14 mill socket in hand, slackened off the three cradle nuts soaked em & did them up again. The rubber blocks look OK so no point changing them. I checked the rear gearbox mount at the same time & wondered why the mount feels very unforgiving, could be transmitting vibes to the chassis?

More
28 Mar 2018 12:07 #190964 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Transfer box exchange
While it is off, remove the rubber blocks completely, clean all the corrosion off the face of the alloy mounts, lacquer, or paint the face to stop it corroding again, and refit.

What happens is they corrode massively between the steel face of the rubber block and the alloy mount, build up a huge layer of aluminium oxide, bend the flat plate on the mount, and pull the nut out through the alloy, cracking it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Stumpjumper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2018 15:12 #190971 by Stumpjumper
Yeah, I'm grateful for your advice. On the subject of T box oil, GL4 from Europarts, is it suitable?

More
28 Mar 2018 15:49 #190973 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Transfer box exchange

Stumpjumper wrote: Yeah, I'm grateful for your advice. On the subject of T box oil, GL4 from Europarts, is it suitable?

Yes GL4 1.1 Litre remember to undue the filler plug first
As you need to get oil back in so don't drain it then find you can't :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stumpjumper

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds