BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Low ground pressure Jimmy advice needed

• woody woodpecker
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 19:42 #190753 by woody woodpecker
Low ground pressure Jimmy advice needed was created by woody woodpecker
Hi All seeking advice on building a low ground pressure Jimmy to replace quad bike and gaiter for fencing and spraying business .
I have found some suitable tyres mitas tro6 31 x 15'5 x 15 low ground pressure and have searched the forum for info on altering the springs but I can't find any post for using this size tyre and what I need to alter ? Any help would be great.
Thanks chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2018 00:48 #190767 by zukebob
Advice may be a little limited. To be honest, I haven't seen that tire size/type listed on any of the forums I belong to.

Likely what you are looking at is body lift, spacers and arch trimming. Lift and spacers I don't normally recommend and would suggest you only do as much as is needed to fit the tires.

I left off springs for a reason. Keep in mind that if you gain height through suspension change, that height only gives tire clearance when the vehicle is static. If you achieve full suspension compression, and haven't changed bump stops, the distance from the center of the wheel to the body is the same as stock. If you change springs and shocks for a different type of ride, I would suggest you base it on the terrain you drive.

Hopefully someone with more experience with larger tires can provide more and better feedback.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Mar 2018 06:46 - 23 Mar 2018 06:50 #190773 by Lambert
Ah the same tyres as the landmaster, be aware of the speed rating on those for road use, A8 40kph 25mph. For the amount of work that you have to do to a Jimny to get them to work properly you will probably be better off sticking with a side by side quad. It will be narrower and lighter than any Jimny and with those flotation tyres a quad will be legally as fast or even faster. Another option is a quad for the work and a braked trailer on a Jimny to get between jobs?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 23 Mar 2018 06:50 by Lambert. Reason: Speeds

More
23 Mar 2018 08:18 #190779 by Busta
You could fit them reasonably easily if you don't need it to be road legal. Take a grinder to the wheel arches until the tyres fit. You will need to change the gearing with a rocklobster transfer case if you want to use it for anything other than posing.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds