BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

clutch bearing noise?

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 22:02 #190703 by rexthecat
clutch bearing noise? was created by rexthecat
Got this 'click click click' noise, sounds like a bolt catching something as it rotates. Starts at about 20 mph and only when accelerating, not in over run or when the clutch is down. Does that sound like a clutch bearing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 22:19 #190704 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic clutch bearing noise?
The usual sound of a dry/failing clutch bearing is a constant metallic sound as the car is in neutral with the clutch pedal not depressed, the noise goes away when the pedal is pressed and the bearing has a load on it.
As i said this is the usual sound, sorry i can't be of more assistance.
You may need to get under the car and man handle the prop shafts and feel for worn universal joints.

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 22:33 #190706 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic clutch bearing noise?
cheers, yup strange one, not a worn uj or anything on the props, not the cvs or brakes far as I can see / tell / test The way the noise starts up at speed and and only under acceleration made me think clutch. Ill have another look, maybe I missed something....probably!

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 22:43 #190707 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic clutch bearing noise?
Hmm, you've got me intrigued, does the clicking increase with engine speed or road speed, i know you said under acceleration but is it in any particular gear?

More
21 Mar 2018 23:14 #190709 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic clutch bearing noise?
Check your tyres; I had a similar thing (not on a Jimny) and it turned out to be a large stone stuck in the tread of a tyre, but I could nevertheless hear it from inside the car!
Worse case scenario could be something like a bolt that's embedded in a tyre.

Just a thought....

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
21 Mar 2018 23:41 #190712 by KJS
Replied by KJS on topic clutch bearing noise?
Just maybe a broken misshaped finger on the pressure plate, this is where the release bearing touches onto the pressure plate to release the centre disc!

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 19:50 #190755 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic clutch bearing noise?
from having a search on youtube I'm now wondering if it's noisy lifters.....does that make sense. don't make the noise at idle. But yup it increases with engine speed but not in over run or w slowing up. Closest thing I could find, maybe try some of the additive next oil change

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds