BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

slight leak on 4wd switch thingy!

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2018 10:37 #190350 by fowleronline
slight leak on 4wd switch thingy! was created by fowleronline
After my recent MOT and service, the mechanic commented on a slight oil leak where the 4wd switch(?) is mounted on some housing underneath. He said not urgent and was probably a quick swap over if I wanted it doing. All box oils were clean and full so he just mentioned it.

So can anyone suggest what it is called properly, what it does and do I need to attend to it?

I realise as I type this, some of you might suspect my technical knowledge could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a hot poker, and you may be right! So I can get more technical words off him if needed. :)

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2018 12:02 - 13 Mar 2018 12:04 #190356 by Scimike
Can't be 100% sure as the age of your Jimny will change things and my comment is based on the term "switch", but I would suggest its the transfer box solenoid, but its a guess to be honest.
This only applies if you have push button 4wd selection.
Best you can do is have a look yourself underneath and take a picture of any potential oil leaks. Having said that if its not leaving oil on your yard I would not call it a leak and would ignore it. :)

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Mar 2018 12:04 by Scimike.

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2018 17:42 #190366 by fowleronline
Replied by fowleronline on topic slight leak on 4wd switch thingy!
Thanks. It's a 2001 with a manual 4wd selector.
I got the impression it was the bit that detected that 4wd had been engaged, and illuminated the bit on the dashboard.
It doesn't drip that I have noticed, and all oil levels were good... sometimes it's the little things that die quietly that cause the most trouble, so I thought I would ask.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds