BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Pre vvt transferbox and gear in a 06 VVT, what to do with axles and mounts?

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 17:30 #189895 by OlaGB
New member, thanks for letting me joing the community!

Planning a mod on a 06 Jimny, but i`m a jimny n00b (i do know cars in general though).

99` gear + trans box, on a manual 06. Gonna run 235/75-15`s and stock 4.3 diffs.
I know about the need for shifter mount, wiring to lights in dash and reverse, and that propshaft(s) has a lenght issue.
I\ve read for hours, and struggle to find some minor details.

Questions:
-Is there a gearshift mount available to buy, or do i have to make one?
-Do i have to cut in the lenght of propaxle(s) to front and/or rear diffs, or can i use axles from a 99-04 car?
-Are the jimnybits transfermount OK for fitting this setup in my car?
-Just reuse my 91k km stock clutch, or do i need a pre vvt clutch? (I`m probably going M16a vvt later on)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Mar 2018 17:47 #189899 by Riccy

OlaGB wrote: New member, thanks for letting me joing the community!

Planning a mod on a 06 Jimny, but i`m a jimny n00b (i do know cars in general though).

99` gear + trans box, on a manual 06. Gonna run 235/75-15`s and stock 4.3 diffs.
I know about the need for shifter mount, wiring to lights in dash and reverse, and that propshaft(s) has a lenght issue.
I\ve read for hours, and struggle to find some minor details.

Questions:
-Do i have to cut in the lenght of propaxle(s) to front and/or rear diffs, or can i use axles from a 99-04 car?
-Just reuse my 91k km stock clutch, or do i need a pre vvt clutch? (I`m probably going M16a vvt later on)

Thanks!

You need to choose parts carefully. I have more or less done this conversion, except i did the diffs as well and i have rocklobster/rockwatt transfer box & M16vvt. This was to get the gear ratios correct for my tire size (31"). I was running 235's at one point but the gearing was too low for proper road use. I think you might find similar too low gearing with the setup mentioned and end up running 31" tyres :laugh:

You need the gearbox from a M13 non VVT engine car (code R7ME) as well as a transfer box & prop to match, preferably all from the same car and with the brackets and gear levers. Theres already a blanking plate under the carpet for the t-box stick, and the wiring is pretty easy to adapt to make it work the vac hubs and dash lights.

Some answers for your questions below:

---You need to make a hybrid from the two mounts (welding required, donor parts from both cars)

---no the props and axles are the same, the gearbox to transfer box prop is different so you would need that from the donor car (spline count on gearbox shaft is different).

---Yes they work with all years and models of transfer box (check with them before ordering and you might want the HD bushes as well)

-Just reuse my 91k km oem stock clutch, or do i need a pre vvt clutch? (I`m probably going M16a vvt later on)
---The clutch is the same on all years and models.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 18:05 #189902 by OlaGB
Man, couldnt wish for a better response, thanks!

So its the prop between the boxes thats needed, that explains alot :)

Regarding ratio, put all the numbers into grimmjeeper ratio calculator, and from what i found, i should get pretty dead on stock gearing on this setup, running 235/75-15, compared to stock car on 205/70-15.
I believe it said within 100rpm from stock at 50-60mph in 5th..
But you had a different experience?

I do have a converted 6.5 sj box available, that has not been used, but i find 32" a bit much for staying clear of the attention of officers ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2018 18:45 #189906 by Riccy
Ah good you have done the numbers.

You are right. i went straight to the rockobster box which is 1.5 in high, 4.13 in low, hence needing to do the diffs as well as gearbox. 4.3 diffs would have meant i would be on massive tyres now :unsure:

I would buy that converted SJ 6.5 box if its available at a good price, its ideal for in the future if you go larger tyres, rather than use a standard stick t-box (chain driven, not as strong). My t-box is from Richard Redacted (rockwatt). works a treat :-) Running larger tyres does put extra strain on the stick t-box, but the 4.3 diffs should compensate a bit for that. Depends what you want to use it for i suppose.

The M16 vvt i have came from a swift and was a easy swap, if your going to the bother of gearbox and t-box, why not do it all at once?

James Priestly will probably have all the bits you need ;-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 01:21 #189911 by OlaGB
Sounds good then, i think i`ll stay 235`s for now. But might be smart to buy the SJ box as you say, as its converted for jimny allready, and never used.. I think i can get it for around 800 bucks, isnt that approx same price as a low-gearing kit for a std jimny transfer?

M16a will be considered for sure, and if i get my hands on one for OK money, it will be done in the same time i do drivetrain.
They are a bit high priced over here in norway for some reason though, but i`m looking for them.
Any spesific model/year i should buy? M16a VVT seems to be most common in 2010-2011 SX4`s over here.
Tons of cheap none vvt`s around though. But that will give me a ECU/wiring headache i guess.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
04 Mar 2018 07:32 #189915 by Riccy
800 USD for the box is a good price, especially if its all ready to go. I would enquire about the high range ratio (normally 1.5).

The SJ boxes run gears inside, no chain, which makes them a stronger box than a standard one with different gearsets in it. Also a you would need to change the high gearing as well as the low gearing. A lot of work.

This link may be helpful with sourcing a M16vvt engine. they are all the same block and head and you use the jimny intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan/pickup, cooing system, rocker cover, etc. I added a throttle body from a non VVT liana 1.6 (slightly bigger bore and still cable throttle) and used the injectors from the swift engine on the jimny inlet manifold/fuel rail.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_M_engine

You could swap to a non VVT, but you would need the wiring harness/ecu/keys/locks, etc from a non VVT jimny as well as the donor engine. Not worth the extra work i would think.

More
04 Mar 2018 08:56 #189916 by gilburton

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds