BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

VVT Jimny 4wd Light

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 17:16 #189892 by Caelite
VVT Jimny 4wd Light was created by Caelite
Hey guys.

I open with; I have used the search function, I have seen the few dozen threads on this. All the older threads are full of photobucket dead images and all seem to offer advice for the older manual transfer Jimnys.

So got my VVT Jimny dug out of the snow today, it's been sat submerged up to just past the fog lights since Wednesday. Tried to use 4wd to get out of my parking space and it immediately wasn't working. Hubs where making a whiring noise, not like a gearbox crunching but more like a slipping belt sound. 4wd didn't engage and I had to let 2wd drag it out. Drove 10 miles to work with the 4wd light flashing (after pressing the 2wd button).

I tried some old Mitsubishi tricks of trying to reverse sharply to engage the hubs but to no avail, however when maneuvering I noticed at full lock well parking it felt like the hubs where 'trying' to engage, with a quiet clacking noise and feedback through the wheel.

Any ideas on where to start diagnosing the fault. I'm kind of worried that it hasn't gone down into 2wd properly as I need to do 400miles on it on Tuesday and don't want to knacker my transfer case. The system was working fine the last time I engage 4wd a couple of weeks ago.

I notice in my engine bay I appear to have a fairly large amount of vacuum piping on the right hand side behind the coolant expansion tank. This seems to differ with what a lot of guys say about the pre-vvt with the system being under the battery.

Any advice welcome
Thanks
Caelite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Mar 2018 17:27 #189894 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic VVT Jimny 4wd Light
You can check if its back in 2wd by getting under and you should be able to turn the front prop easily. if it wont turn then the transfer box is still in 4x4 and/or the hubs are engaged.

The piping on my VVT for the hubs was under the battery, the pipes to the other side are all for ABS (this might be different if its a Spanish built one you have, usually soft tops)

Cant help much otherwise im afraid! I got sick of the amount of potential problems with it and went to manual hubs.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 18:43 #189905 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic VVT Jimny 4wd Light
Aye that could be ABS controller I was looking at, I will admit I only took a passing glance under the bonnet after getting to work to see if anything was obviously loose. Out in the work van at the moment but will feel about the prop when I get back, thanks for the tip.

More
03 Mar 2018 19:14 #189907 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic VVT Jimny 4wd Light
As said try turning the front prop shaft by hand. If it turns you are fully out of 4WD. If you can't turn it lift both front wheels and try again, if it turns (along with one or both front wheels) then the transfer box has disengaged but one or both front hubs are stuck. I believe you can drive like this so long as the transfer box is disengaged, its the same as having fixed hubs as some have modified.
You can also identify which hub is stuck at this point.
New to the Jimny, but this is my understanding of the system and just my humble opinion. Make sure you are happy to drive it, if not get it fixed asap...

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 23:13 - 03 Mar 2018 23:15 #189910 by Caelite
So...

Got out of work with the intention of crawling under the bastard in the snowy carpark. I got in to start it to find the 4WD light solid green, implying my suspicion that it indeed hadn't disenguaged (or fully disenguaged). So, I then press the 2WD button, it flashes for a good 20 seconds or so... then the light turns off fully.

I've just drove all the way home with the 4WD light remaining off, I've stopped at the bottom of my street where I got my LWB sprinter stuck in the snow earlier (on a good set of uniroyal winter tyres I might add....), I decided I would risk the 4wd system again, it came on fully after ~10 seconds of flashing (this is normal for me). I then parked in my drive and disenguaged the system as normal.

So to summerise, the Jimny is now working completely fine. Going to have a poke about it tomorrow, excuse my ignorance of how the system works, but is it possible it takes a bit to rebuild 'vacuum' after sitting for a bit, I know the Jimny system contains a vacuum tank that some other systems don't. If this is the case it would explain my initial problem as I had tried to use the system immediately after the vehicle had sat for about 3 days.

EDIT: To add, Jimny performed fantastically in the snow, LWB 3.5ton sprinter was all over the place trying to get up my street earlier, popped the Jimny in 4wd, and the low tread (3-4mm) Dualer HTs just uneventfully drove up the hill with minimal slip.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 23:15 by Caelite.

More
04 Mar 2018 09:13 #189917 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic VVT Jimny 4wd Light
Just a chance the vacuum system was blocked by ice or the hubs were stuck through lack of use.
If there was a vacuum problem it wouldn't go away as most problems are caused by leaks.
The Jimny has 2 systems if you like.It engages the transfer box using solenoids and the hubs are engaged by vacuum at the same time.
To get better mpg and save wear the front diff does not turn as the hubs freewheel. It's sort of opposite to a landrover where they fit freewheel hubs to stop the diff turning theJimny already freewheels and people fit manual hubs to enable locking the diff if the vacuum system has a problem.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 18:20 #189928 by Caelite
Ugh, yup, the faults come back today, so is proving to be intermittant.

Any idea what would cause the 4WD system to inconsistently not work? I assume if it is a burst/popped off vacuum line that the fault would persist. Is there a way to try to loosen off the hubs manually?

More
04 Mar 2018 18:49 - 04 Mar 2018 18:51 #189931 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic VVT Jimny 4wd Light
Now the faults back you could try and detefmine if its both hubs or just one side, also confirm the transfer box has disengaged.
Its possible a vaccum leak li one of the flexible pipes could seal as the steering is moved, worth moving the wheels from lock to lock to see if this helps. Good write up on fault finding on the vaccum system on the wiki .

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2018 18:51 by Scimike.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2018 23:45 - 06 Mar 2018 23:46 #190040 by Caelite
Ahah. I have made a bit of progress.

So, I was under the car, when the light is flashing 'something' is definitely engaged, however based on its performance in the snow I can say that 4WD is definitely not functional. However I have found that when the light is flashing if I keep turning the ignition off and on whilst tapping the 2WD button the system eventually works and fully disenguages 4WD (light goes off fully, front shaft will rotate). I done this today and have driven 500miles, car was definitely in 2WD the whole way. So this leads me to believe that their is a minor vacuum leak, so the system lacks pressure to fully operate. Or my hubs are sticking. I am following Kays thread on his 4WD not working in the cold as I believe I might have a similar intermitant fault.

With that being said, since it never rains but always pours for me. On the final leg of aforementioned 500mile drive, my 2nd gear of my VVT Jimny has started crunching (It engages without resistance, but it crunches, similar to how a straight cut reverse does). So I think I have a much bigger issue than my 4WD system to look into. :(

The one bit of good news is; I have just picked up these.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2018 23:46 by Caelite.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds