BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kingpin bearings / knuckle seals

More
17 Feb 2018 09:44 #189390 by theoldseacaptain
The time has come to replace the kingpin bearings on the N/S of the Jimny, so have been out soaking all the nuts, bolts, etc with penetrating fluids in hope of everything loosening in a few days time.

The bolts holding the knuckle seals in place are very heavily rusted, so having some doubts as to whether these are going to come out. The seal is looking pretty ropey so definitely needs to be changed, which set me thinking..... Has anyone been able to remove the hub with the seals still in place (obviously not concerned what state the seals end up in as they will be replaced)? It would then be much easier to remove all the bolts on the bench with good access and some heat!

Cheers

Sadly jimny-less but still got the bug!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Feb 2018 16:55 #189395 by Riccy
You cant as the metal ring that holds the rubber seal in will foul on the swivel ball. Gotta come off I'm afraid!

If they are really stuck then i would grind them off and drill/tap out the remaining bit on the bench.

If any consolation... mine looked horrendous but came out no problem. The one that everyone seems to have bother with is the ABS sensor bolt. 9 out of 10 times that crappy bolt shears off. Still gotta come out to get the swivel hub off completely tho.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: theoldseacaptain

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Feb 2018 16:57 #189396 by Lambert
If at all possible take the seal off everything is easier if you can. If the bolts shear you can extract them on the bench with the knuckle off.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Feb 2018 09:07 #189417 by theoldseacaptain
Thanks - thought that there must be a reason why it wasn’t mentioned anywhere!

After some additional soaking and trial easing of the various bolts this morning, it looks like the biggest problem is actually going to be the ball joint from the steering box!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Feb 2018 09:14 #189418 by Riccy
Two options for the ball joint:

undo the nut to the top of the thread on it and bash down on the nut with a block of wood and a hammer,

or buy one of these for just over £10...

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht222-ball-joint-remover/

Beware this tool can sometimes split or damage the rubber part of the ball joint, meaning new ones needed.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
18 Feb 2018 09:44 #189421 by Jezz
The quickest way to seperate ball joints and track ends with out any special tools is with a hitting stick.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
18 Feb 2018 09:44 #189422 by theoldseacaptain
Sorry - should have been more specific. It’s the nut on the ball joint that seems to be seized solid at the moment. Left it soaking after wire brushed the threads and some heat so fingers crossed..... I guess worst case will be cutting it off and hoping it unscrews out of the rod!

More
19 Feb 2018 15:05 - 19 Feb 2018 15:07 #189463 by X8GGY
For the little nuts on the swivel ball seal you need some of these -

They have a reverse spiral cut inside the 'socket'...

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/

They'll grip the heads of rounded bolts :)

They also do this to fill the box with all sizes -

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set-expansion-set/

Invaluable when working under a Jimny ;)
Last edit: 19 Feb 2018 15:07 by X8GGY.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds