BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Panhard mount/bar modification question

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2018 21:25 #189164 by X88RED
Hello all,

I would like to check to see what peoples thoughts are on something..

Basically I had 4" fat bodied shocks and rear re locators and my rear panhard arm had to be bent slightly (not ideal) and also the panhard mount/bar had to be cut/ removed and a welded triangle support put in its place. This was due to the shock rubbing on both the panhard and slightly on the panhard mount. See pictures below of how it looks before and also the current triangle section welded in place.

I am now removing the fat bodied shocks, rear re locators and fitting normal size 4" shocks. I will also be fitting a non bent rear panhard arm!

Would you consider the welded triangle that I have in place to be sufficient to act as the panhard mount section? I have had no problems or issues with it. I am not mechanically minded so just want to gain other peoples opinions and check it is all ok, I was told at the time it would be fine and provide the same level if not more support but just wanted to double check with someone else who fabricates and really knows their stuff. The guy who originally did the triangle section said the original bar was 1.5mm thick and he has replaced it with 4mm per sq inch so its stronger..

Thank you!

Redmond

How it looks originally :

How my one looks:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Feb 2018 05:10 #189170 by Lambert
It's not what I would have done personally, but it seems fairly robust and if it's lasted this far it could go on a while yet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Feb 2018 05:19 #189171 by Lambert
Actually the more I look at that the more I would like to see another piece of flat bar welded neatly on the exhaust side from the top of the factory section into the panhard bracket, because the welds on the triangle are not inspiring much confidence.

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2018 10:15 #189176 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Panhard mount/bar modification question
Thanks Lambert, I had a measured up this morning and a bit of 31.75mm x 12.7mm flat bar would sit nicely - would be welded on to the bottom of the triangle section/ panhard mount and then be welded on to the section where the original bar was cut/ other side of the exhaust hanger. Kind of the like the original bar that was in place, but I guess slightly stronger and not using two thin bars.

Just need to find a decent welder now.. anyone know of anyone near to Guildford? Also I am not that clued up on this, so what metal should the flat bar be made of?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Feb 2018 11:03 #189179 by Lambert
Nice bit of mild steel about 5 or 6 mm thick would be more than enough.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds