BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cheap mud tyre recommendation.

More
06 Feb 2018 23:07 #189151 by bryn
A recommendation please for a set of cheap mud tyre please. 205 70 R15. I do quite a bit on the road but have got stuck a couple of times this winter. I have some continental all terrain which are not really up to it. Happy to forgo a few mpg etc.

Thanks
Bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Feb 2018 05:03 - 07 Feb 2018 05:05 #189153 by Lambert
Nortenha do a remould of the current bfg mud for about 68 quid mail order off camskill. Being a local I would point your attention to Oatlands tyres off leeds road they are very competitive on price if you know what you want . Talk to Graham and say I sent you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 05:05 by Lambert.

More
08 Feb 2018 10:33 #189177 by yakuza
I had Nexen muds. So glad i don't anymore. Way too stiff and hard rubber.
Slip and slide on wet pavement. Cold weather and ice i would never even think about attempting with them.

BF MT for summer now and special studded winter tires for Norwegian winter roads. Not cheap :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2018 17:54 - 08 Feb 2018 17:55 #189189 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Malatesta Keiman. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Feb 2018 17:55 by 1066Boy.

• meska82
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 08:02 #189198 by meska82
Replied by meska82 on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Comforser 3000,
Hankook Dynapro MT

• mike83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 15:40 #189205 by mike83
Replied by mike83 on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Malatesta, nice sticky rubber and good on road. Cheap and a well known brand. Insa turbos are an equally good brand.

More
09 Feb 2018 21:23 #189223 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
Thanks for the replies.
Bryn

More
15 Feb 2018 22:27 #189353 by kirkynut
Don't get Malatesta Kaiman or other brands with the same tread pattern if you are using it on road a lot. They are very noisy.

Malatesta as a brand are excellent though. I have a set or Kaimans I've had for years with no signs of aging or going hard. They'll never be the grippiest on road but they are good considering the tread pattern!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy

More
16 Feb 2018 07:07 - 16 Feb 2018 07:07 #189354 by Bosanek
Beware that most MT tyres are almost equally bad on wet and/or packed snowy or icy roads as ordinary road tyres are bad in the mud.

For regular on-road use, especially if driving a bit sharply, MT tyres can be outright dangerous in wet or frigid situations.

And they usually wear rather fast&loud.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 07:07 by Bosanek.

More
19 Feb 2018 17:11 #189469 by kirkynut

Bosanek wrote: Beware that most MT tyres are almost equally bad on wet and/or packed snowy or icy roads as ordinary road tyres are bad in the mud.

For regular on-road use, especially if driving a bit sharply, MT tyres can be outright dangerous in wet or frigid situations.

And they usually wear rather fast&loud.

Having driven on MT's on road for years I disagree. You might have to be a little sensible but even with extreme Muds I find the grip of mine to be good. Not as good as a road tyre but not too bad either.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Feb 2018 19:33 #189477 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:

Bosanek wrote:
Having driven on MT's on road for years I disagree. You might have to be a little sensible but even with extreme Muds I find the grip of mine to be good. Not as good as a road tyre but not too bad either.

Kirkynut

I agree.

However, I tend to be a bit pf a pleb over tyres.................cheap first, quality second but then again I drive my 4x4 like it is on ice all the time. lol

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2018 22:39 #189491 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Cheap mud tyre recommendation.
No problem with my Mt's on the road but there not as aggressive as some other makes

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds