BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2008 vvt idle

More
09 Jan 2018 16:06 #188170 by gilburton
2008 vvt idle was created by gilburton
Now that the colder weather is here my car is starting to misbehave in the morning after it gets warm with everything switched on.
It's started to stall pulling away if you do not put in a bit more throttle. Turning everything off helps but it's not constant.
Does it just need a good service or is something failing?

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 16:53 #188176 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic 2008 vvt idle
Maybe get alternator and battery checked out

More
09 Jan 2018 17:24 #188179 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic 2008 vvt idle
Yeah I'll check them at the weekend with my multimeter. If the sun comes out it might be sooner lol
I was just wondering if it was a sensor fault as the car starts/runs well otherwise. I assume all is well when the car is still cold as the problem is more really when warm so the sensors must be feeding in more fuel when cold.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jan 2018 17:58 #188182 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2008 vvt idle
Have you put a live code reader on it to see if it is happy with itself when running?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jan 2018 18:02 #188183 by gilburton
Good idea I do have a reader.
My wife is the main driver so I'm going on her reports lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• mike83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 20:11 #188189 by mike83
Replied by mike83 on topic 2008 vvt idle
Make sure pcv valve Is clean and working. Far left on top off rocker cover is a right angled plug. Google it you'll see what I'm saying. Had an idle issue on mine caused by it.
Pull it out and remove the black pipe from other end, it should rattle and blow through clearly from fat end to barbed end.
Easy to check cheap to fix.

More
09 Jan 2018 20:18 - 09 Jan 2018 20:19 #188191 by gilburton
Ok I'll check that out as well. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with it. It's almost as if something is intermittently sticking or not working.
A little more throttle than usual and away it goes.
I did wonder about the throttle position sensor but I'll get it sorted in the end.
It might just need a good blast down a motorway with some cleaner as it is just mainly used in town about 10mls a day??

Last edit: 09 Jan 2018 20:19 by gilburton.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 21:58 #188196 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic 2008 vvt idle
Blocked cat?

More
10 Jan 2018 10:07 - 10 Jan 2018 10:18 #188228 by gilburton
Just checked the battery and it was 12.3v after standing overnight. I know a good battery should show app 13.5v so that is obviously on the way out but the car is still starting easily and voltage goes straight up to 14v+ on idle at cold with everything switched on so no problem with charging.
Put the OBD reader on and no codes showing.
The PCV is rattling so that is ok.
My wife said it's more when it's warm. It's fine on idle hot or cold just sometimes when you actually press the throttle it needs a little more throttle than normal to stop a stall. When this happens the yellow engine light comes on but a bit of clutch/more throttle and it's away.
I assume the light coming on is the engine getting close to stalling/stopping and doesn't mean anything else.
I liken it to a hill start when you don't quite get the balance right.
She said it felt like not enough fuel? Could it be the TPS?
She has also said that once she pulled away round a corner and as it was downhill she took her foot off the throttle and it just stopped? Turn of the key and away it went as normal.
I'm beginning to suspect a fuel/throttle problem as it doesn't happen when cold so it could be the sensors are pumping in more fuel when cold(choke) so overcoming any problem??
I/we don't really go far these days and even less in the winter but next time we do I'll try some cleaner in the fuel and give it a blast lol.

Last edit: 10 Jan 2018 10:18 by gilburton.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jan 2018 10:32 #188231 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2008 vvt idle
I'm sure you have already, but have you checked the throttle cable and body linkages and stop screws and such? Nothing sticking or missing to allow the throttle to close too far etc?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jan 2018 10:53 #188234 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2008 vvt idle
May not be an engine fault at all. It could be a brake binding then releasing after a rotation of the wheel. Might be worth jacking it up, cycling the brakes and checking everything spins freely.

More
10 Jan 2018 10:53 #188235 by gilburton
I'll have a proper look at the weekend assuming the weather is ok and spray everything in sight.
I would have thought if anything was sticking mechanically it would increase idle as it idles fine normally even just after it has happened.
It's the intermittent random episodes that are the problem as it's hard to pin down.
My previous 1998 Jimny had a problem in that as you were driving along it would suddenly stutter as if the fuel was running low and then if you immediately pumped the throttle as you rolled along it would pick up and carry on.
Neither myself or the dealer could find anything wrong and it went on for years until I sold it. Probably electrical contact or something but just another mysterious problem lol

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds