BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sway bar

• mike83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2018 16:50 #188135 by mike83
Sway bar was created by mike83
Hi I've been running without a sway bar for a while but have put it back on after chatting to some jeep driving mates. Want to keep it as its so much nicer on the road.
Im at pay n play on sunday and don't wanna have to take the whole thing off for the day, really wanna drive there and back with it on..
Can I just remove a link on one side or just undo one bolt and cable tie it out of the way for the day???
Can't afford a disconnect kit for a couple weeks but will fit one for long term use at the end of the month.

PS as I'm running a 3" lift surely the drop links should be longer or we should be fitting spacers to keep it sitting stock.
I've sheared 2 links whilst flexing which is why I removed it in the first place. Thinking bout getting under some gvs or maybe a l200 etc with a tape measure see if any others would be a touch longer.

Anyone got any knowledge??????
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2018 18:17 #188136 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Sway bar
The sway bar should rotate within its bushes. Therefore it should adjust to an equal height change on both sides. It only operates when there is an unequal height change causing a twist. It is conceivable that it has to extend so much that it forms a straight line with the droplink on the vertical section which is clearly not good. It is also conceivable that the drop link "flips" to the other side after going vertical, really not good! (I have had that happen when playing on the drive with jacks)

So in summary. You have to judge based on your suspension whether these extremes will be reached. In general I say no, I only achieved it with forcing the suspension apart with jacks. However had my suspension been longer it would have been easier to force.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Jan 2018 18:24 #188137 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Sway bar
The disconnect kit is the ideal option (what i have and its great), But yes you can achieve the same thing by removing just one of the drop links. I would check a bit first as to which is best to remove tho as you might catch something with it under flex.

Superpro make HD droplinks for the ARB, i think Dave (S200KYS/bits4vits.co.uk/zookbob) sells them and runs them. Fairly short from memory (poss even shorter than the standard ones).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• mike83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2018 20:46 #188145 by mike83
Replied by mike83 on topic Sway bar
Cheers for replys martin and riccy.
Martin that's exactly what I did, the drop link inverted first time and sheared second. Without bar drove through no worries.
Had a look at what the Jeep boys and girls do and they have spacers to bring the bar mount to chassis down.
Also I can see shorter links would be spot on as chassis goes up from axle.

Disconnect kit and some arb links it is then.

More
09 Jan 2018 15:51 #188168 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Sway bar
I've run mine with the drivers side drop link removed for years. It does foul the axle bracket and make a bit of a clunk but otherwise no issues and plenty of articulation.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds