BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny auto engine roar - Sorted

• Wychall
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2017 21:06 - 03 Dec 2017 15:33 #186805 by Wychall
Jimny auto engine roar - Sorted was created by Wychall
My daughter has asked me to look at a fault on her 2006 auto Jimny. On medium to hard acceleration the engine peaks at 3000 rpm and makes a load roaring noise. Lighter acceleration does not have the roar but does lack power as the revs rise. The engine itself revs freely throughout the range when in neutral. My initial thoughts were for a gearbox fault but the noise is not from the gearbox area.
Can anyone help to throw any light on this fault please?
Last edit: 03 Dec 2017 15:33 by Wychall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Nov 2017 04:52 #186806 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny auto engine roar
I have yet to take delivery of my auto one but certainly on the test drive it did nothing like that. Starting with the simplest first, when was the gearbox oil and filter last changed?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Wychall
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2017 08:18 #186808 by Wychall
Replied by Wychall on topic Jimny auto engine roar
She's had the car three months and all has run fine. G/b oil looks clean although high. All road testing of the g/b has been good apart from this roar and 3k rpm lockout. As it is exactly 3k every time I assume it is an electronic problem, but is it g/b or engine?
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced scan tool for the TCM?

• Wychall
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2017 20:00 #186900 by Wychall
I've had a mechanic look at this now. Really impressed when his feedback started with "I know nowt about Suzuki's, but...".
His scan tool showed no stored codes and just one pending of O2 sensor bank 2 which he reset. The car now has a bit more power and revs better, but could the lambda problem cause low power and a roaring noise? Am I better off taking it to a Suzuki dealer?

More
01 Dec 2017 10:02 #186915 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Jimny auto engine roar
Check for blockage in the exhaust, or catalyst, and have a look at the air cleaner & inlet system for blockages too.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Wychall
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2017 18:10 - 01 Dec 2017 18:11 #186923 by Wychall
Thanks facade, you are thinking on the same lines as I am. My feelings are that it may be a blocked cat, which would explain the roaring noise involved. That will be my first check for tomorrow.
Has anyone managed to clear a cat, even temporarily, to confirm my suspicions? Perhaps a pressure washer?
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 18:11 by Wychall. Reason: Spelling mistake

• Wychall
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2017 15:42 #186971 by Wychall
Replied by Wychall on topic Jimny auto engine roar - Sorted
Lots of pulling of hair over the last couple of days but it is now sorted. Although the exhaust is relatively new (still shiny!) the cat was blocked. Sprayed it through several times in both directions with the pressure washer then refitted. Back to full power and quiet again.
In trying to track down the problem I also found that the manifold cat was rattling so I removed all the bits to restore quiet. Test driving after cleaning both cats didn't produce a fault code. Now to wait for MOT time to see if it fails on emissions.

More
21 Aug 2018 19:41 #195340 by wychall
The problem was caused by the front cat disintegrating and blocking the rear cat. I smashed the front cat out, leaving an empty casing, and reverse flushed the rear cat with a pressure washer.
The car has run fine since then, and yesterday sailed through the MOT with 0.13 co against an allowed 0.20 on the emissions.

Should anyone else have a similar problem it would appear that the front cat is not necessary so you can save your money.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2018 22:23 #195342 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny auto engine roar - Sorted and UPDATED
Good result
Thanks for sharing :)

More
21 Aug 2018 23:03 #195344 by helijohn

wychall wrote: The problem was caused by the front cat disintegrating and blocking the rear cat. I smashed the front cat out, leaving an empty casing, and reverse flushed the rear cat with a pressure washer.
The car has run fine since then, and yesterday sailed through the MOT with 0.13 co against an allowed 0.20 on the emissions.

Should anyone else have a similar problem it would appear that the front cat is not necessary so you can save your money.

Good to know.
I have often wondered how much cat a motor needs to pas the MoT.
And is the rear cat not neutralised by flushing it with water. Shows how little I know about cats.:blush:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds