BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Snorkel intake - which way round is best?

• Elikratos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2017 07:37 #187121 by Elikratos
Replied by Elikratos on topic Snorkel intake - which way round is best?
Fixed. I went anal and happy with it :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2017 19:25 #187177 by helijohn

Busta wrote:

Elikratos wrote: While I was there I helped a friend choose a new ute and pointed out that the factory intake position, tucked inside the wing, was probably well thought out

I have often thought this. The snorkel looks nice and butch but who goes that deep? Whereas the intake position on my 4x4s, which is at bonnet height internally, would be as deep as I'd ever want to go cos deeper than that and I'd want to escape the motor.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Dec 2017 19:57 #187181 by Lambert
In fairness most raised air intakes are more to act as a pre cleaner in dusty conditions than to allow for wading up to the roof. Certainly they are not on my list of things to do to Ermintrude firstly because I wouldn't want the temptation of wrongly feeling invincible and secondly I have yet to see one that looks like it has been integrated into the design of the car, colour coded ones are better but most look added on if you know what I mean.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2017 22:18 #187191 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Snorkel intake - which way round is best?
I decided years ago that the best way round was to pull the ram off and fit a pre-filter instead. This is great when going through locusts as the bugs collect in the pre-filter and are easily disposed off. Same with the dust. I always seem to be in the middle of a convoy with my Jimny and the pre-filter is wonderful for collecting dust.
The pre-filter saves air-cleaners by removing a lot of the dust and bits n pieces of bugs. It also makes a satisfying sound as it it generates a vortex by design to spin the dust and bugs out into the collector.

Pre-filters are available at Tractor shops and are only about $24 in Oz. Just take in the diameter of your pipe and walk out with a pre-filter.

click on pics to make larger

More
08 Dec 2017 23:16 #187193 by helijohn

ZookFastback wrote:

Nice car in the background! ;)
And that filter looks the business.B)

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2017 00:10 #187196 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Snorkel intake - which way round is best?
If you are referring to the Suzuki Celerio, 3 cyl ultra-economical little beastie then well spotted Sir. With its' CVT transmission it is a neat little package. I did a shade over 50,000 k's from the day I bought it new until within 12 months of owner ship.

But I think that more likely you have spotted my 1982 Ford Falcon XD Sedan, powered by 351 cubic inch V8 :D It is, as the saying goes, "To die for". Matching numbers, all original. Paid $2100 for it and currently valued in the high $80-90,000.00's and I wouldn't sell it for less than $120,000.00 if that. The cool burble of that V8 makes me come alive. ;)

More
09 Dec 2017 00:22 #187197 by helijohn

ZookFastback wrote: If you are referring to the Suzuki Celerio, 3 cyl ultra-economical little beastie then well spotted Sir. With its' CVT transmission it is a neat little package. I did a shade over 50,000 k's from the day I bought it new until within 12 months of owner ship.

But I think that more likely you have spotted my 1982 Ford Falcon XD Sedan, powered by 351 cubic inch V8 :D It is, as the saying goes, "To die for". Matching numbers, all original. Paid $2100 for it and currently valued in the high $80-90,000.00's and I wouldn't sell it for less than $120,000.00 if that. The cool burble of that V8 makes me come alive. ;)

Nope........cherry it was. lol

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2017 10:54 #187206 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Snorkel intake - which way round is best?
Have to admit mines for looks and sound only :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:

More
09 Dec 2017 13:20 #187216 by furo
I've never been deep enough to really need a snorkel, but I love mine for peace of mind. It also sounds great and is a nice cheap DIY mod!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2017 13:35 #187218 by Daniel30
This was close though

Attachments:

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2017 17:45 #187221 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic Snorkel intake - which way round is best?
Ooo, that looks great Daniel. I've just picked up my own Jimny in the exact same colour.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2017 19:19 #187227 by Daniel30
It’s the best colour ;) :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds