BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Abou to buy a Jimny . Can an ABS be fitted?

More
25 Oct 2017 05:43 #185493 by zrpmarques
Hi there,

I am about to buy a second hand Jimny. The ones most readily available are from 1999 to 2000.

Most of them do not have a n abs and I would like understand if it is possible to fit a stock one, since it was an option at the time.

I want an ABS, because I think this would be a great car for my daughter to how to drive with, and I feel it is a good security device. Preferably one that I can engage / disengage. I would like her to learn how to break, too.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2017 06:00 #185494 by OllieNZ
In short it will be difficult to retrofit.
The abs models have different axles/axle cases for mounting of the sensors and reluctor rings.
You would need an abs pump and appropriate plumbing.
I'm not sure on whether the abs computer is built in or a separate unit but either way this would also need to be addressed.

More
25 Oct 2017 08:19 #185498 by mlines
To be honest you are better off buying one with it fitted, It will be much cheaper. ABS equipped Jimnys, although rarer in the age group you are looking at, do not command a price difference. The effort and expense of retro-fitting will not make it economic to do.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
25 Oct 2017 10:28 #185500 by zrpmarques
Many thanks,

My problem is to find one with ABS already fitted. Suzuki stopped selling the Jimny here in 2005 and there are very few of them.
Even fewer with AC and even fewer with ABS.
Financials apart, are there all the parts to build an ABS available?

More
25 Oct 2017 10:56 #185502 by mlines
Well all the parts can be obtained but its not going to be easy, you will need new axles, new wiring, new computer, new pumps etc. the list is very long.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
25 Oct 2017 14:24 #185506 by weecorey
Why the need for ABS? I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used ABS.

More
26 Oct 2017 06:53 #185525 by zrpmarques
Thanks for the info. It seems to much work and too difficult. As you said: better wait a get one already with it.

More
26 Oct 2017 06:55 #185526 by zrpmarques
I have no need of the ABS for myself. I learned to drive in cars without ABS.
My idea was to use this car to teach my daughter to drive and she is was born in the age of ABS...

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds