BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Oct 2017 07:55 #185039 by Lambert
As Busta says the axle and diff are one solid unit with wheels at each end. There's 2 ways of getting more clearance, one fit much taller tyres, two fit portal reduction hubs and taller tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Millen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 08:18 #185040 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15
You can also "shave" the bottom of the diff casing which can gain any where from 1/2-1 inch
I suggest spending some time googling "live axle suspension" "solid axle suspension" "radius arm suspension" to try and get your head around how the jimny suspension works as it's very different to most other modern cars and 4x4s

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Oct 2017 08:26 #185042 by Lambert
Just because you can, would you really want to shave the bottom of the diff case?

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 13:01 #185049 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:RE: Re:Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15

11/60 wrote: Just because you can, would you really want to shave the bottom of the diff case?

Just to clarify by diff case I'm referring to the portion of the axle case under the diff ring gear.
Compared to some of the other major mods available it's a pretty simple and cheap one. It also allows you to increase the thickness of the bottom of the diff casing without losing the ground clearance caused by a bolt on diff guard. Depending on how you shape it, it can also help reduce hang ups.
If you use cv/double cardan type drive shafts you can angle up the diff input to point directly at the t-case increasing the amount of case you can cut away.
However doing this will mean moving spring/shock attachment points back on top of the axle and having to cut and reweld the swivel balls on the front to correct caster.

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 14:00 #185051 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15
Well... you could put portals on it and get a lot higher diffs without the need for large (heavy) tyres and regearing but it's not cheap.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2017 15:57 #185057 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15
Much the same off road, just having a bit more diff clearance with the 215/75.

• Millen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2017 07:27 - 11 Oct 2017 08:21 #185087 by Millen
Replied by Millen on topic Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15
Yeah, 5mm is actually quite a bit and from what I remember 215/75 does not need any cutting. (?)
Just a minor lift right?

I've been looking on some 15" tyres on the bits page but could not find higher and as thin as the 195/80/15 ones.
First I liked the idea of the Kaiman ones but since a while I've changed my mind to the Kobras.
I see lots going for the Goodrich's but I don't know if thats for me.

Maybe you have had discussion about the kind of bigger work of raising parts as axles earlier but anyway I've learned tons of possible solutions through this thread.

Good morning from Sweden by the way! :)
Last edit: 11 Oct 2017 08:21 by Millen.

• Millen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2017 06:57 #185158 by Millen
Anyone more here that uses relatively thinner tires to tackle obstacles or someone who have opinions of the plus and minuses of not going wide?

I have read about lots of advices here, is there possible any favorite threads that coves these kind of modifications?

Another thought, has anyone here built a Jimny that can handle jumping without bottoming out spring and putting to much strain on other parts?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 08:12 #185159 by Lambert
I have had air a couple of times unintentionally on my factory suspension and it has been fine but that's only on upland roads not doing anything mad off road. If you are looking at rally raid type air then you are looking at things like King or Fox systems to take that kind of abuse.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2017 09:35 #185160 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Jimny -2003 3" lift and 195/80/15
On most ground thin/tall is better than fat. Only time I have got big air the suspension was fine but I broke a transfer box mount, the originals are a bit weak.

• Millen
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2017 12:25 - 13 Oct 2017 12:26 #185171 by Millen
1066Boy:
Did something hit the transferbox or did it just break because of the shock?

So something like this suspension would not be enough for some airtime?:
www.jimnybits.com/jimny/suspension/suzuk...ension-lift-kit.html
This is for now my primary choice and still together with 195/80/15:
www.jimnybits.com/wheels-and-tyres/tyres...x4-offroad-tyre.html
Maybe one should go for something where you can set rebound?
And what about progressive springs?

In what order would things fail if jumping the car?
Depends on angles, and what is lands on. But if we think rallycross-style jumps, which seems smooth and nice.

Clutch is another thing, have been looking a bit at the ones in the BigJimny-shop.

By the way, do we tag people in this forum? Is it possible?
Last edit: 13 Oct 2017 12:26 by Millen.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Oct 2017 13:05 #185173 by Lambert
The main issue of a few when jumping at speed on rough terrain is having enough travel in the suspension for the dampers to be able to dissipate the energy created in a short enough time to prevent the car bouncing. If you look at a baja trophy truck as an extreme example even from massive air it is able to absorb the impact in one cycle of the suspension primarily as a function of the available length of travel. On a relatively standard suspension setup even with trick dampers there isn't really enough travel to allow the car to land without bouncing. Now the other side is wrc style rallying where a relatively short suspension is able to absorb the impact but that's because they as vehicles are massively strong having an internal cage which is available to mount tough dampers to so rigidly that the whole structure takes the energy allowing the suspension to keep the bounce at bay. With a Jimny if you have able to emulate either the travel of a trophy truck or the rigidity of a wrc car then yes it will land fairly gracefully and not try to bounce you into a ditch.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds