BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternator belt

More
22 Sep 2017 09:03 #184322 by 2013gary
Alternator belt was created by 2013gary
Hi all,

The alternator belt has snapped on my M13A engine. I've never changed one before is it a fairly easy job? My plan is to loosen the aternator bolts so I have a bit of wiggle room to get the new belt on. Will this work? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2017 10:42 #184326 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Alternator belt
I changed the belts when engine was out anyways because it is pretty tight.
I changed both belts at the same time as one must come out to change the other anyways.

loosen the generator as you say for that belt, and loosen the eccentric intermediate wheel on the engine to change the other belt.
No big problem to sneak them around the radiator fan and place them on the corresponding wheels before tightening.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
22 Sep 2017 13:22 #184334 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Alternator belt
Yes it's an easy job. Slacken off the bolts on the sliding tensioner on top of the alternator. At the bottom of the alternator is another bolt it pivots on. I think it's an 8mm Allen key. Slacken it off and the alternator will then pivot freely. Thread the new belt over the blades of the fan and onto the pulleys, tension using a pry bar between the engine block and alternator then tighten the bolts up. Don't go crazy with the tension. Being able to twist the longest length of belt no more than 90° between thumb and forefinger is a reasonable test.

More
22 Sep 2017 13:32 #184335 by Busta
While you're at it, check the condition of the crank pulley. It fails and delaminates, which is th most common cause of belts snapping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
22 Sep 2017 14:20 #184337 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Alternator belt
As above, the power steering belt has to come off first, the tensioner is the (silvery on the side that runs on the belt) pulley at the top.

Also as above, it takes a lot to break a serpentine belt, if it has broken something is wrong somewhere, seized alternator, damaged crank pulley, something contaminated the belt maybe, or something got caught in it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2017 14:27 - 22 Sep 2017 15:13 #184338 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Alternator belt
I was sure there used to be a "How To" section but I cant find it ...as I'm sure there is a Hot To Change the Alternator and P/S (Power Steeering) Belt in there ...

If changing the Alternator, I would DEFFO change the P/S Belt at the same time!!

Jeez, that was hard to find ... www.bigjimny.com/index.php/wiki/information/qhow-toq-guides

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 22 Sep 2017 15:13 by maverick.

More
22 Sep 2017 20:40 #184356 by 2013gary
Replied by 2013gary on topic Alternator belt
Thanks everyone for the replies. It was a bit of a struggle to be honest and in the end I had to remove the radiator to access everything and get the pivot bolt undone. Almost got everything put together again but was having trouble putting the radiator back in its mounts. It got dark so will try again over the weekend.

For the past few weeks there was a bit of squeal from the belt along with a burning rubber type smell so as Facade says I think something else must be wrong. I initially thought alternator as there was some black residue on the front of it but the pulley seems to be turning okay (stiffer than the fan pulley but still able to turn by hand). So could it just be that the belt was old and started to fall apart? The PS belt looked like it had seen better days as it was covered in cracks so I replaced that as well

Gary

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Sep 2017 04:46 #184362 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Alternator belt
When i did mine i found in fairly short order that the idler tensioner failed and had to be replaced as on the vvt it isn't as serviceable as the early ones. I also found that gates brand belts refused to stop squealing i now have dayco and they are bod on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Sep 2017 07:33 #184366 by 2013gary
I got mine from Euro Car Parts so they are Continental Contitech.

Does anyone know if the PS belt is meant to have as much tension as the fan belt? My PS belt doesn't seem as tense even after adjusting the tension pulley. I took my old worn belt in to Euro Car Parts when I collected the new one and the one they provided was a bit too big, so they had to measure my old one to get one the same length. I ended up getting one slightly shorter as the old one was severely cracked and probably stretched but it still appears to go on a bit too easily.

Gary

More
23 Sep 2017 11:27 #184375 by Busta
That's a handy picture of the tensioner Facade. Thank you! It's a 6mm allen key isn't it?

More
23 Sep 2017 13:39 #184380 by weecorey
Replied by weecorey on topic Alternator belt
That's interesting, my belt broke shortly after I got the car, it was squealing when I got it so was on its way out I believe. I put a gates belt on but it squeals on the odd occasion when the alternator is under load. I always believed gates where the best you could buy bar oem.

More
24 Sep 2017 12:07 #184422 by 2013gary
Thanks everyone for your input so far. I've managed to get everything back together but now the car won't run. It starts fine but there aren't enough revs to keep it running. The battery light goes on and off and the car dies within a second or two unless I keep my foot on the gas. The only way I can describe it is that it feels the same as it would feel if someone had blocked the exhaust pipe. Any suggestions?!

Gary

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds