BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine rattle on load / acceleration -Mostly solved!

More
12 Oct 2017 19:27 #185146 by Keithy
You could go the route I took and go megasquirt3 with a vvt controller built in.....bit spendy but at least the timing can be adjusted to suit the CR?

oh and you can have all the telemetry on your android tablet or phone :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2017 10:43 #185167 by yakuza

Keithy wrote: You could go the route I took and go megasquirt3 with a vvt controller built in.....bit spendy but at least the timing can be adjusted to suit the CR?

oh and you can have all the telemetry on your android tablet or phone :D

Yes, and I have to learn all about that then, but many sources for it on the net.. Also i could buy a Liana ECU and try to retrieve the mapping and put it inside my existing ECU. that would cost less but not sure what is easiest.. programmer on ebay costs approx 70£ and used liana ecu at 120£ would be cheaper than the megasquirt.

why did you switch to megasquirt?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
13 Oct 2017 16:37 #185181 by Keithy

yakuza wrote:
why did you switch to megasquirt?

Turbo....then turbo and vvt........supercharger next :D

More
18 Sep 2018 22:27 #196105 by yakuza
So probably solved now, changed the catalytic converter and no more pinging(yet) and way more power!

Sent fra min G8441 via Tapatalk

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Sep 2018 06:37 #196110 by yakuza
Measured air flow from the MAF -sensor with an app on my phone connected to a bluetooth device in the ECU connection. It used to max out on 65 but now after changing the cat.conv. i get 75.

• vegetablejoe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 09:10 #196429 by vegetablejoe
I get that engine rattle with my 2011 Jimny M13A. It is getting quite expensive to be filling up with 98 octane just so as not to hear that annoying rattle. Especially annoying since the vehicle is supposed to be able to run properly on 91 octane, as per assurances by the car dealer/salesman when I got it in 2012/

More
22 Jan 2021 23:44 - 23 Jan 2021 12:11 #232099 by Marek
Hi!
Here is my experience about swapping m16 VVT from 07MY SX4 10.5 CR into Jimny 13MY. 
With SX4 engine i also used Liana's m16 TB and blue injectors coming with SX4 engine. 
 Results: 
- engine knocking under load and high revs always especially when hot. Even with 98
- black tailpipe. LTFT going up to -15%
- poor cold start and warmup. Noticeable rich mixture

In theory Liana M16 9.5 CR block would have to have bigger piston chamber volume (?) so we would have to use Liana's block or pistons in our M16 9.5 CR VVT Jimny. I just remind that m13 and m16 deck clearance, piston chamber and head chamber volumes are the same that's why we have CR difference between M13 and M16. 
Finally i decided machining the SX4 pistons.

After CR recalculation outcome was about 9.7:1
Also installed back M13 orange injectors.
Used camshafts from M13. Noticed that M13 cams have 0.5mm smaller valve lift and torque designed cam lobes. As the exhaust and intake are stock so i think it's doesn't make sense to use "mild road" cams. 
Finally there are no more any knocking. LTFT is now around 0, perfect engine start, warmup and noticeable mid range torque with M13 stock cams. 

​​​

​​

​​​​​
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2021 12:11 by Marek.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds