BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

R72 to R7ME gearbox swap question

• Jay-t
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2018 11:48 #191480 by Jay-t
Replied by Jay-t on topic R72 to R7ME gearbox swap question
How did the installation work out
Did everything work out fine ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Apr 2018 18:00 #191535 by Riccy
Bad of me, I forgot to update the post after installing.

Yes its all working ok now. There have been a few changes in the meantime to accomodate larger tyres, ARB lockers and the rocklobster transfer box, but the R7me box is working fine. Clutch has held up fine as well (excedy standard one).

The weld i made on the bracket to adapt to the newer mounting position has worked, but was slightly off where it should be (too far back and the donor mount should have been welded onto the BOTTOM of the new bracket to get the height correct). This means i have a HD transfer box mount in there instead of the standard rear engine mount, No big loss as they are cheap to replace if it goes and stronger. I forgot to take pics of how it went together but the original pictures show it fairly well.

if it was to be done to a standard VVT jimny with normal tyres then i would say it needs to have the transfer box and the diffs swapped as well to match the gearing properly. I did use the earlier 3.9 diffs for the lockers in mine to match the rocklobster box and tyres. works very well :-)

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• Jay-t
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 21:37 #191545 by Jay-t
Sounds great I want to put in another gearbox on my 2006 jimny my r72 does not go into 1st gear and a grinding noise in third and lightly in 4th .. I’ve managed to get a samurai gear box but I’m not sure how it will work .... any ideas ?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
11 Apr 2018 05:36 #191552 by Riccy
SJ gearbox wont work. you need to stay with the M series combination (R72 for a M13 VVT, R7me for non VVT M series).

Do you mean transfer box? that can be fitted but wont help much for noisy gears in main box.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
11 Apr 2018 07:19 #191556 by yakuza

Riccy wrote:
if it was to be done to a standard VVT jimny with normal tyres then i would say it needs to have the transfer box and the diffs swapped as well to match the gearing properly. I did use the earlier 3.9 diffs for the lockers in mine to match the rocklobster box and tyres. works very well :-)

Riccy

I came to more or less the same conclusion as i was looking at different solutions when my R72 broke down this weekend.
If you swap to R7me from R72 you will have to change the transfer and diffs as well.
I have the Rocklobster available from a SJ413 project but if i where to use it in my VVT even with a R7me swap i would have to change the diffs or go 31" tires.. Or cope with high rpm on highways.
When i plan to continue using my 235's i am better off with the original setup and just change the gears in my original transfer box.
Less work and probably not so different price compared to bying the diffs/axles.
Due to popular demand the R7me is half the price of the R72 though.
And now there is no R72 available in Norway as I prolly bought the last one..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Jay-t
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 11:36 #191565 by Jay-t
Well where I leave have no spares no gearboxes no kits no nothing so I have limited to no options

More
11 Apr 2018 15:41 - 11 Apr 2018 15:42 #191571 by Bosanek
I have just created this wiki article about this specific gearbox swapping procedure.
The article is just an introduction which needs further expansion.

It would be very beneficial if all those who have performed this swapping procedure would contribute by expanding the article and making it into a proper guide (for example, like this wiki guide .
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 15:42 by Bosanek. Reason: Typo

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
11 Apr 2018 17:19 #191574 by Riccy

Jay-t wrote: Well where I leave have no spares no gearboxes no kits no nothing so I have limited to no options

Perhaps think about rebuilding the box you have? if the gears are ok then its probably worth doing.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
11 Apr 2018 17:31 #191576 by Riccy

Bosanek wrote: I have just created this wiki article about this specific gearbox swapping procedure.

It would be very beneficial if all those who have performed this swapping procedure would contribute by expanding the article and making it into a proper guide (for example, like this wiki guide .

Will do ;-)

I should have mentioned that there is a difference in the spline count on the output shaft of the two gearboxes, meaning they cannot be interchanged without swapping props about as well.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
11 Apr 2018 17:48 #191581 by Riccy

Bosanek wrote: I have just created this wiki article about this specific gearbox swapping procedure.

Had a go. Typed a load of stuff and it just wont have it. Keeps saying logout and try another browsing tab? wont have it when i do that :-(

• Jay-t
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2018 23:41 #191601 by Jay-t
I opend my box today everything looks fine
It looks to be opened before and the reverse gear plastic shimm was in the wrong place but it still gives a little trouble to go into 1st gear but it surely does work better

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 00:56 #191603 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic R72 to R7ME gearbox swap question

Jay-t wrote: I opend my box today everything looks fine
It looks to be opened before and the reverse gear plastic shimm was in the wrong place but it still gives a little trouble to go into 1st gear but it surely does work better

Reverse gear plastic shim, what shim is this?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds