BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine rebuild

• Paulig174
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2016 22:16 #175702 by Paulig174
Engine rebuild was created by Paulig174
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi all.Im new to Bigjimny.com.I have a 99 jimny.Im rebuilding the engine after noticing water in the oil.The engine is out and I'm taking the head off tomorrow but I might try the oil pump first to see if it's mixing there.I ordered a rebuild kit from eBay and I'm worried about using it.It was very cheap.The link below is the kit I bought.Id appreciate advise. I would even bother using it if I had any doubts. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 06:47 #175704 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Engine rebuild
You'll only have a blown head gasket, no need for a full engine rebuild!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Paulig174
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2016 20:35 #175717 by Paulig174
Replied by Paulig174 on topic Engine rebuild
I know but I wanted to do a rebuild anyway and plan on doing a complete restoration job in undercarriage also and modify it for off road adventuring and possibly camping through Europe! I have the engine completely stripped and all internals removed.My problem now is I don't have socket to remove the head bolts.the are star shaped bolt heads

More
17 Dec 2016 10:16 - 17 Dec 2016 10:17 #175734 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Engine rebuild
If they are torx there are special sockets, but the splined ones undo with an ordinary 12 point socket of the correct size.

That rebuild kit looked good value, about what you would have expected to pay in The Olden Days, nowadays you won't buy the head gasket set for that.

(If it is Chinese, as I suspect I wouldn't use the pistons & rings ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 17 Dec 2016 10:17 by facade.

• Paulig174
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2016 21:43 #175758 by Paulig174
It was 12 point splines.got them off with a 10 kingtony hex socet.It just got better.my block is cracked

• Paulig174
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2016 21:48 #175759 by Paulig174
Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2016 06:42 #175763 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Engine rebuild
Can you put a circle round the crack, I can't see one.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
18 Dec 2016 11:16 #175770 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine rebuild
I've never heard of anyone having trouble with these engines other than head gaskets. You'll cause more problems than you 'fix' pulling it apart and re-fitting inferior parts.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds