BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Refrigerant and compressor oil for air conditioning system

More
01 Sep 2016 06:36 - 01 Sep 2016 06:41 #171909 by Bosanek
I searched this forum and the rest of the Internet, including Suzuki's service manual, for information on which types and quantities of refrigerant fluid and compressor machine oil are needed for Jimny's air conditioning system.

However, the only information I found was that I need R134a type refrigerant fluid (the ubiquitous one). I found that in Suzuki's service manual.

What type of compressor oil do I need?

What are the required quantities of both to fully load the system?

Is the air conditioning system the same in all Jimnys, older and newer, petrol and diesel?
Mine is diesel.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 06:41 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2016 06:59 - 01 Sep 2016 07:18 #171910 by Bosanek
I have just found one Hella's catalogue which lists required quantities of refrigerant and oil for various vehicles' AC systems:

www.autototal.ro/dmdocuments/Catalog%20B...g%20Behr%20Hella.pdf

It lists that Jimny requires between 500 and 600 grams of R134a refrigerant, but 0 ml of oil !?
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 07:18 by Bosanek.

More
01 Sep 2016 14:55 #171915 by Halford
not sure but I think the oil is simply in the refrigerant (can also put dye in it to show up should there be a leak.

IMO however, from knowledgeable mechanics I have been lead to believe that it's best not to change/recharge the system as experience has shown that once you do, problems start i.e. compressor failure or bursts - could be that the system was about to fail anyway, or maybe the added strain of a newly fully charged system causes failure

anyway ... my compressor seized and failed a few months after a recharge - and to be honest the recharge didn't make the aircon any better than it was in the first place, just hoped it would.

:(

More
26 Sep 2018 13:47 #196290 by h_hezzah
G engine and K (Diesel) charges at 550g
M engine needs only 430g.

More
26 Sep 2018 16:35 #196296 by Scimike
STP aircon recharge service or DIY kit offered at Halfords. Charged my Jimny early this year as the refrigerant pressure had dropped below the cut in point preventing the system working. Once charged to the correct pressure its been fine for the last 8 months and is still going strong. The STP solution contains all the system needs ready mixed and also contains a leak sealer.
Will not seal a massive leak, but more than adequate for a slow leak. You can also get the kit on Ebay if you are anti Halfords.
Been loverly and cool all summer :)
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
28 Sep 2018 10:25 #196339 by Busta

Halford wrote: not sure but I think the oil is simply in the refrigerant (can also put dye in it to show up should there be a leak.

IMO however, from knowledgeable mechanics I have been lead to believe that it's best not to change/recharge the system as experience has shown that once you do, problems start i.e. compressor failure or bursts - could be that the system was about to fail anyway, or maybe the added strain of a newly fully charged system causes failure

anyway ... my compressor seized and failed a few months after a recharge - and to be honest the recharge didn't make the aircon any better than it was in the first place, just hoped it would.

:(

What do you suggest as an alternative to recharging then?

• Yi Lingxing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2021 06:48 #232492 by Yi Lingxing
Before you comfirm the compressor oil type, you'd better  to make sure you know the type of the compressor ,so that you can comfirm the oil according to the specific information.

More
05 Feb 2021 08:19 #232493 by yakuza
Last summer I had to service both my Swift and my VW. First the AC pump in the Swift (same as a jimny) made horrible noises. Fault finding thru listening with a stick at the pump, and checking for variations during on or off AC.
At the time my daughter had the car at her university sme 8 hours from where I live, so I told her to cut the drive belt with a knife to shut it up. She got a quote from a shop down there for fixing it about 1500£ (norwegian prices!). I changed it next time she was home for a used one bought at a wreckers. I did the job myself and paid 150£ for parts and 150£ for the recharge.
no problems after this except the pulley died so changed it for the one from the broken pump. Now works great.

So the VW. This is a bus so AC aluminium pipes from the engine all the way to the back of the car where the condenser is. four pipes cost about 500£ each and the shop wanted to change them all so quote was 2500 in total for the job++.
I got to it myself again had the shop fill the system with the green dye stuff so I could find the leak. after alot of searching I found it. Car has been undersealed so it was messy and not so easy to find. changed the pipe with leak and was lucky to not destroy the couplings on the pipes got it all seald up and system recharged. still cost me 700-ish in parts and recharge.

So I spent many days of my summer holiday saving maybe 3000£ compared to the shop price.
still would like some time off this summer instead of doing servicing to the cars:)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds