BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Intermittent loss of power ?

• PAULWW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 11:01 - 27 Aug 2016 11:06 #171735 by PAULWW
Intermittent loss of power ? was created by PAULWW
My 2006 JimnyVVT is experiencing a loss of power every third or fourth longer journey.....travelling at around 65 or 75 mph it suddenly loses power which shaves upto 20mph off the speed then evens out. At this time it is noticibly rougher (though nothing like as if it were misfiring or dropping onto 3 cylinders...it feels almost like there is some kind of resistance holding it back). After 5 to 20 seconds or a little longer it recovers and normal power is resumed ( having dropped from 5th to 4th to compensate for the loss of speed).

I've had it on a diagnostic at my local garage and the only fault found was with the throttle valve which he took out and lubricated..but the problem has continued. Nothing else was flagged as a fault despite my expecting a coil pack problem. In all other respects it idles smoothly and evenly, and continues to work perfectly throughout the rev range.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it likely to still be the throttle valve or something else?

Thanks.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2016 11:06 by PAULWW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2016 11:21 #171736 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Intermittent loss of power ?
Hi, could be a blocked cat, when it loses power check if the usual amount of gas is coming out of the tailpipe using your hand

More
27 Aug 2016 12:01 #171737 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Intermittent loss of power ?
Could be crankshaft sensor starting to play up. If it is it will get worse to the point that it cuts out when hot.
It doesn't set a fault code.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PAULWW

• PAULWW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2016 11:09 #171795 by PAULWW
Replied by PAULWW on topic Intermittent loss of power ?
Thanks all.

Might replace crankshaft sensor as it seems to be a common problem and an easyish cheapish fix at this stage. At least it'd rule that out.

More
01 Sep 2016 06:20 - 01 Sep 2016 06:24 #171908 by skywalker65
Coil packs .... That's how mine started. Got some NGK replacements of the bay. Has been ok all year then started hanging back a bit then cleared , very intermittent.
Took exhaust manifold off to find the cat had started to collapse (2 cats on a VVT) so just knocked it out. Been fine ever since and no effect emissions wise

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 06:24 by skywalker65.

• PAULWW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2016 16:57 - 02 Sep 2016 17:05 #171932 by PAULWW
I've yet to sort this out ...I've been waiting to see if it gets worse or the problem becomes permanent.

So far, suggestions are...blocked fuel filter, blocked cat (s), coil packs, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, spark plugs/leads, throttle valve, oxygen sensor (lambda).

All a bit confusing, but I'd have hoped some of these might show up as a fault on a diagnostic?
My gut feeling is an ignition problem but that doesn't rule much out from the above list :-/

Skywalker: If I read your reply correctly, your experience is that the coil packs initially failed, all was then ok for a while until later when your cats collapsed.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 17:05 by PAULWW.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2016 19:44 #171946 by Lambert
When my coil packs died they manifest as a huge flat spot in the rev band right at 2000 rpm. Replacement from eurocarparts and off we go, clean up from idle to 6500 rpm. Brilliant.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Sep 2016 21:13 - 02 Sep 2016 21:18 #171947 by skywalker65
That's correct. Initial problem was that the car started ok. Got about 5 miles in then it would occasionally hiccup. Left it a few weeks and it got to the stage where it would run ok from cold but then as heat got in to the engine it started to drop on to 2 cylinders. Fairly convinced that this ignition issue is what ultimately destroyed the cat in the manifold. Dumping unburnt fuel in to it doesn't do it a lot of good.
The feeling when the cat had collapsed was like an 2 stroke moped with a blocked exhaust. Occasionally it would clear then back to lack of power.
The coils are prone to failure due to their location. Most stick type coils seem to have a high failure rate on all types of cars.
Coils don't show up on a diagnostic as such compared to sensors. I'm assuming the iridium plugs are ok. Originally designed for the North Star engine, it's not very often that they're the cause of such issues

Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 21:18 by skywalker65.

• PAULWW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2016 10:35 #171966 by PAULWW
OK..revised strategy then...back to plan A..new coil packs it is. Seem to vary in price on ebay from £15 ea. to £75.

More
04 Sep 2016 07:32 #171983 by skywalker65
The original coils are Denso Paul. I got NGK ones as the weren't a bad price. Coupled with the fact they've been dealing with ignition systems for ages. Might be worth replacing the plugs if you haven't already done so. On the vvt engine they are replaced at 48,000 miles and as I have mentioned before are the iridium type.

• PAULWW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2016 10:11 #173313 by PAULWW
Problem solved....new coil packs and normal service is resumed !

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2016 13:06 #173316 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Intermittent loss of power ?

PAULWW wrote: Problem solved....new coil packs and normal service is resumed !

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I have the same issue.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds