BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Is it dead now?

More
24 Apr 2016 17:35 #165748 by Basketcase
Is it dead now? was created by Basketcase
Few month back my fan/alternator belt snapped and only realised after 5 or 10 mins that the engine was a tad warmer than it should be. Today at cowm it lost power and seems the head gasket has gone. Is it worth doing the head gasket or would it be easier/cheaper/better to throw a 1.6 in it? ANY advice at all would be great!! Cheers guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2016 18:47 #165755 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Is it dead now?
I have a m13a engine up for grabs £125

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
25 Apr 2016 18:39 #165803 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Is it dead now?
Is that a nice way of saying get a new engine? I don't wanna put another 1.3 in as I'll have to get someone to fit it for me cousin don't have the tools to do it myself. You got any 1.6?

More
25 Apr 2016 19:19 #165806 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:Is it dead now?
Do you have an M13 or G13 now?

More
25 Apr 2016 19:23 #165808 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re:Is it dead now?
It's an m13 51 reg

More
25 Apr 2016 20:35 #165816 by minibbb
Having swapped my M13 for a M16 recently I would highly recommend it. You can pick one up sub £200 and it makes the car much better

• s16lad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2016 22:31 #165822 by s16lad
Replied by s16lad on topic Is it dead now?

Basketcase wrote: Few month back my fan/alternator belt snapped and only realised after 5 or 10 mins that the engine was a tad warmer than it should be. Today at cowm it lost power and seems the head gasket has gone. Is it worth doing the head gasket or would it be easier/cheaper/better to throw a 1.6 in it? ANY advice at all would be great!! Cheers guys!

Did you go up there with lorrence in there Nissan patrol ? Sure I was talking to you in the car park, I was in the little blue jimny ?
Didn't realise it was you.

More
26 Apr 2016 06:41 #165824 by Basketcase
Yea that was me in the black Jim I got through that big water bit when ideas getting the winch line out ready and I didn't need the winch lol

More
26 Apr 2016 06:43 #165825 by Basketcase
Looks like I'll be doing the 1.6 conversion then when I find money and an engine

More
28 Apr 2016 22:24 #165953 by minibbb
Would a new head otherwise sort your issue?
My 1.3 block and head (both fine) are still sat here.... Down in Eastbourne though.

More
29 Apr 2016 07:52 #165967 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re:Is it dead now?
I can honestly say I have no idea what so ever. How do you know if the head is warped? All I know is the head gasket has gone lol I'm a diy mechanic so could do the head gasket myself but don't know how to tell if it's warped etc

More
29 Apr 2016 09:14 #165974 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Is it dead now?
There are many ways to check if a head is warped but they all involve precision instruments. Most people get the head skimmed anyway as a precaution. Fitting a second hand head from a working engine would be a safer bet than re-fitting the one that suffered the gasket failure without skimming it. You could always get an engineer to check it for you though.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds