BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Undoing crank pulley bolt?

More
21 Jan 2016 15:18 #160775 by facade
It finally happened to me, crank pulley fell apart, and I came home on the back of an AA van.
(What a stupid design, it is obviously going to fail, as the fan belt tension acts to flip the pulley off the spindle.)

I got a new pulley (sorry Martin, I need to fix it right now this minute)

But I can't undo the crank bolt.

I made this

and I've got a 4 foot long bar on the socket, but all that happens is the bar is bending.

I have a windy gun that is supposed to do 235ftlb, but that doesn't make any effort to undo it, but I suspect that is because I have 2 extension hoses and it isn't getting enough air.

I've sprayed round the flange on the bolt with GT-85

All that is left is to wait until I can get a mate round, bend the 4 foot bar double and hold the strain on, and get him to whack the socket end.

Any suggestions from all you folks who have managed to undo it?

I suspect the old using the starter and let the spanner flail round to hit the chassis dodge isn't going to work on this one....

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2016 15:31 #160777 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
I used my battery impact gun with a fully charged battery. First press and bingo. The starter motor trick is good as long as the driven arm only moves 90 degrees. Its best if somebody keeps a push on the socket to the bolt head while the switch is operated for the second it takes to engage the motor. Obvious safety awareness required!.

More
21 Jan 2016 17:56 - 21 Jan 2016 18:02 #160799 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
Cheers, I was hoping someone would have a little tip.

I wonder if it has been done before and some idiot has put loctite on the threads when assembling?
It is only supposed to be 108 ftlb, I must have got over 400 on the end of that bar, I'm frightened I will shear the head off, split the socket or shear off the square drive.

The only way to shift that is to stick weld to the bolt head, and hope the bolt gets enough heat down its length to melt it.

But then I'll never get the socket on after.........

I can get the blowlamp to the bolt head, but most of the heat will just go into the pulley,

Stuck now until I can get someone round to help on Saturday.

A replacement engine would have been less trouble, and probably only twice the cost of the pulley :evil:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 18:02 by facade.

More
21 Jan 2016 18:09 #160802 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
I've had no problem with a 3ft breaker bar, even with the engines out of the car, rolling about on a trailer floor. If your bar is bending, get a stronger bar!

More
21 Jan 2016 18:10 #160803 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
Have you tried the socket long bar and flicking the starter?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
21 Jan 2016 18:39 #160809 by facade

j999pre wrote: Have you tried the socket long bar and flicking the starter?

No, I need someone to operate the starter while I watch what happens/ keep the socket on, but how tight this is it will probably twist the crank before it goes. :S
"
Busta, I do have a 3/4 drive bar, and a reducer to 1/2" somewhere, I don't have a 17mm 3/4 drive socket though. I've got a 2' Draper cracker bar and 3' of thick walled tubing, but the cracker bar bows like a banana unless I slide the tube right down.

It must be loctited. :pinch:

I can try the blowlamp on the head on Saturday, other than that I will have to slip the radiator in and drive it nearer my compressor to use a shorter pipe and let the windy gun hammer away for a while and hope it eventually breaks free.

If the head shears off and leaves the thread stuck or loctited in the crank I will really be in trouble.

(I'm in trouble now as I can't use it anyway with no waterpump drive)

More
21 Jan 2016 19:42 #160813 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

facade wrote: It must be loctited. :pinch: I can try the blowlamp on the head on Saturday, )

What a nightmare. I think I would have tried the heat by now and defo an impact wrench.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
21 Jan 2016 22:11 - 21 Jan 2016 22:13 #160826 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
If you end up going down the welder route, Get a nut large enough to fit over the bolt head and weld on, then you still have the new welded on nut to get a socket on. Similar to the photo.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 22:13 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jan 2016 06:35 #160840 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?
If it is lock tighted then a small amount of heat should destroy the bond it shouldn't need to be red or yellow hot to get it out. Assuming that that is the problem. If it has been crossed and wound up with a windy gun you are looking at re tapping the crank. Good luck.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2016 09:29 #160848 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Undoing crank pulley bolt?
Mine was corroded in and took some shifting, 2ft breaker bar plus a lump hammer. The impact force goes a long way to help getting it undone.

More
23 Jan 2016 13:29 #160921 by facade
Can't move it!

It isn't a left hand thread is it?

Got mate pulling with all his weight on the 4 foot bar, I thought the engine mountings would rip apart, and then belted the bar close to the socket with a lumphammer. Not the slightest movement. (Apart from I now have a permanent bend in the bar)

Warmed the bolt until it glows red, and the rubber on the pulley smokes, and tried again, nothing. (probably wrecked the oilseal now)

Looks like a major operation now, make a drill guide and centre drill the head off, then if the thread is seized drill that out and clean the threads up. Bumper off to do that though.

Last chance is next door's son in law is a breakdown mechanic, and probably has a powerful electric impact gun, he comes round to see them tomorrow.

More
23 Jan 2016 17:55 #160966 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Undoing crank pulley bolt?

facade wrote: Can't move it! Warmed the bolt until it glows red,

I wouldn't have heated it that much - unless it pigged me off. :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds