BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Loud rapid "clicking" or "burr" noise - gearbox ??

More
20 Aug 2015 20:36 #150269 by kirkynut
If they are trying it on in respect of the wheel bearing, given your position on the world's leading Jimny forum I think you'd be entitled to ask "Do you know who I am? " quite legitimately!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2015 21:05 #150274 by mlines
Those were almost exactly my words, although I do think the bearing did collapse on the way to the garage.

I was out the evening before trying to evaluate the gearbox issue and there was no problem with the bearings, but the next morning there was a grumbling noise as James drove it on the forecourt.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
28 Aug 2015 14:22 #150842 by mlines
Well its been with them since Wednesday 19th and its still not back together.

The gearbox has been rebuilt and is waiting to go back on the car, they just do not seem to have got around to it yet, how slow can they be! They seem very disorganised in actually planning the work. Having delivered the car to them at 8am on the Wednesday morning they did not even test drive it until the Thursday lunchtime when they told me there was a noise in 3rd and 4th.

Then they took the box apart on Monday. Parts arrived with them this Wednesday. Yesterday they said the box was back together and would be put on the car this morning but now they are saying they have not got around to putting it on the car yet :(

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
28 Aug 2015 18:25 #150853 by gilburton
Did they tell you what they found??

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
28 Aug 2015 19:32 #150865 by mlines
They said a couple of bearings were worn but did not elaborate further.

They have replaced 4 bearings and all the seals.

Martin

Martin

More
31 Aug 2015 09:56 #151039 by mlines
Well although I have not had the car back yet (they are still putting it together) I have had the invoice from Suzuki for the gears (I authorised the transmission company to use my Suzuki account).

They replaced 6 bearings (5 standard bearings and 1 needle bearing).

The standard bearings were the input, counter shaft and output shaft - i.e all the main bearings in the gearbox. The needle bearing was the one used between the input shaft and the output shaft.

They also changed the main case oil seals.

Martin

More
31 Aug 2015 12:35 #151046 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAh so they changed some gears as well??
It will be interesting to find out the final cost compared to a Cam recon box and this??
Taking in to account the labour as well??

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
31 Aug 2015 13:05 - 31 Aug 2015 13:06 #151047 by mlines
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThats interesting, that kit appears to reproduce exactly the parts they replaced and mine was genuine Suzuki parts throughout and was cheaper (to me, of course). I could probably do the same kit for about £140 with all Suzuki parts (although Suzuki are usually leading brands when you open the package).

At present it is:

Rebuild fixed price effort: £360
Parts to me (lets use the ebay price to protect the favour Suzuki did!) : £134.99

Total: £494.99

CAM_SUZUKI £924 for fitting yourself.

I also went for the fixed price removal charge at a further £280

This make my total costs £774 fitted whilst the CAM_SUZUKI one would be do it yourself.

So looking financially good to me although the wait has been a pain.

Martin

Last edit: 31 Aug 2015 13:06 by mlines.

More
03 Sep 2015 11:52 - 03 Sep 2015 11:53 #151228 by mlines
Well the saga continues.....

Went to collect it this morning and it had a problem. Overnight a small pool of oil had appeared underneath it so they were taking it apart again, they think an oil seal may have been pinched or nicked when it was re-assembled. :(

Fortunately it is a fixed price deal so there is no variation on the price due to time/effort taken. They are also going to deliver the car home to me tomorrow to save me another trip to their workshop.

From the outside it looks a nice job. The gearbox looks brand new as it has been blasted clean etc. so lets hope this leak is a minor glitch.

The rebuild itself cost £348 - fixed price
Parts were less than £134.99

Total for gearbox itself - £482.99 which puts it a lot lower than a replacement box or CAM_SUZUKI version of the same thing.

This would be the cost if you took the gearbox to them along with the Ebay parts kit listed previously which I think is quite good.

However, I have a bad back so I took the whole car to them and paid an extra £282 for them to remove and re-fit (they also fitted a new clutch as it seemed worthwhile whilst they had it in bits, I supplied the clutch!)

The removal/install seems to be the area that gave them the issues in terms of time. I think the workshop is divided into two with the physical removal done in one part with basic workshop employees whilst the gearbox itself is re-built in a separate engineering workshop where the skills are. The time (and oil leak problem) seem to be a function of the basic workshop, with employees sick/on leave etc.

This morning there were a couple of Police vehicles in being repaired so hopefully that means I have just been unlucky with my car and that their work is normally ok.

So total for me will be £764.99 complete.

Martin

Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 11:53 by mlines.

More
03 Sep 2015 18:46 #151259 by mlines
So its home!

Good news:
  • Gearbox is silent and smooth
  • New clutch is just fantastic

Bad news
  • P0031 Engine fault code - sensor 1 heater current low
  • Clutch needs adjusting up
  • Wheel bearing or UJ rumble has died right back (still a low rumble when rolling at walking pace

Rather than faff around with them trying to fix the issues I let them deliver the car back to me as I can do a better job at sorting it.

At a guess they have broken a connection/wire in the O2 Sensor when unplugging them and also do not know how to turn the plastic wheel to adjust the clutch.

Martin

More
03 Sep 2015 18:54 #151264 by j999pre
It's amazing isn't it the mechanic world. They certainly know how to charge but then to have to fix bits they broke is a real pain. Glad the box is up and running for you though

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
03 Sep 2015 19:29 #151268 by mlines
Well it actually looks as if the sensor heater has failed internally to the sensor.

The sensor shows open circuit on the heater circuit with no apparent damage to the wires or connector. Wiggling the wires/connector does not make the circuit. There is 12volts on the heater feed from the fuse/ECU.

That would be an amazing co-incidence but it does look like a sensor fail :(

Now to get a sensor socket to get the old one out and swap with my other Jimny to see.

Martin

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds