BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What's in the Jimny side step sports bar fitting kit

• MikeT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2016 20:32 #160633 by MikeT
That's great. I will continue my search and let you know if I find anything.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2016 21:02 #160635 by Russ-41
Mike,

I turned a piece of solid bar down to the ID of the tube and tapped M16 (because I had M16 bolts and taps in my drawer, M12 would have been better). I then just welded them in place and sprayed them to prevent rusting, simple, strong, quick.

If you fancy going down this route, let me know, I'll make you some up, and if your local I can even weld them in place - any donation welcome.

I can also machine up this cup/cone thing if you like, but that would be a bit more of morning job than a quick hour or so - I'm thinking a good thick walled steel tube of a suitable diameter (35-40mm from memory) machined parallel on the OD to insert in the jimny. with a slight taper machined on the inside, a few degrees say 4 or 5, then slitted open down the side. followed by a solid insert with a matching taper on the OD and a tapped hole in the centre.

A bit time consuming but easily done.

• MikeT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2016 09:35 #160662 by MikeT
Hi Russ, wow.. Thanks for all the thought and offer of help. Much appreciated. Not sure if your location is shown on the web site but we live in Wakefield , West Yorkshire. If you are a long way away the cone option might enable a DIY fit 😉. Thanks again . Mike

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2016 12:02 #160665 by Russ-41
Mike,

I'm a stones throw away (in the grand scheme of things) in Doncaster, 5-10 min's from M18 J3 (soon to be about 2 minutes when the new exit opens in the next week or 2)

I would think its quicker for you to drive to me and we'll weld a tapped insert in place, unless you've got your heart set on an expanding plug (I'd have to buy some steel tube stock for this, and I'd need to buy an M12 tap set in any case)

:)

• MikeT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2016 11:47 #160768 by MikeT
Hi Russ, sorry for delay in replying... Expected a notification of 'new message'. Doncaster is no probs . May be a couple of days before can get over .. Need to get it back from daughter !!
Can you send me some contact info to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will call when I have some dates .
Thanks again
😊

• Russ-41
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2016 12:45 #160771 by Russ-41
MikeT

I'll get in touch via email, I'll have the welding gear out and on the drive next weekend for my sisters car so if we could all tie up together that would be great.

I'll invest in an M12 tap set now and it should be here by next weekend

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds