BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up

More
03 Jan 2014 18:58 #98914 by minibbb
My 05 jim has a rather squeaky fan or alternator belt on start up, worse when I have a few electrical things running! Belts look fine and seem nice and tight, could they just need a spray with Wd40 or something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2014 19:12 #98917 by facade
Make sure the belt is tight: I just go for it is tight enough when I can just twist it 90 degrees.
If that doesn't work, fit a new belt and clean the pulley grooves thoroughly with a wire brush.

Don't use WD40 it damages rubber. In fact dont buy WD40, it is useless except to displace water. For penetrating oil, use diesel or plus gas. The best universal spray in a tin is GT85.

I spray the belt on The Other Car with pledge furniture polish: the silicone stops the squeal, it smells nice too and is only 99p a can B)

One day I will fit a new belt, but you have to dismantle half the car to do it and the pledge is easy to spray from the top ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: minibbb

• Fyffe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2014 19:12 #98918 by Fyffe
Possibly alternator or another aux nipping up causing the belts to slip? Try getting someone to start it up with your head under the bonnet to try and localise it if both belts are all in good nick and tensioned correctly?

Jack.

• rs200boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2014 19:13 #98919 by rs200boy
Replied by rs200boy on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
you will find the belts either need more tension or possibly the rubber has went hard and is squealing over the pulleys and then it needs changed

More
04 Jan 2014 00:27 #98975 by minibbb

facade wrote: Make sure the belt is tight: I just go for it is tight enough when I can just twist it 90 degrees.
If that doesn't work, fit a new belt and clean the pulley grooves thoroughly with a wire brush.

Don't use WD40 it damages rubber. In fact dont buy WD40, it is useless except to displace water. For penetrating oil, use diesel or plus gas. The best universal spray in a tin is GT85.

I spray the belt on The Other Car with pledge furniture polish: the silicone stops the squeal, it smells nice too and is only 99p a can B)

One day I will fit a new belt, but you have to dismantle half the car to do it and the pledge is easy to spray from the top ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Shall check the tension again tomorrow but I recall they were pretty damn tight!

I may try the furniture polish trick though!

More
04 Jan 2014 08:29 #98986 by robs5230
if the belt is squealing but is adjusted properly the its time to change it. spraying stuff on belts is on a par with putting eggs in radiators and tipping thick oil in to quieten noisy motors. old salesmans tricks to pass on dodgy motors.

standard jimny - for now

More
04 Jan 2014 10:08 #99000 by facade

robs5230 wrote: if the belt is squealing but is adjusted properly the its time to change it. spraying stuff on belts is on a par with putting eggs in radiators and tipping thick oil in to quieten noisy motors. old salesmans tricks to pass on dodgy motors.

Absolutely, and you get a smear of whatever you spray all round the engine compartment too.

On a Jimny, you can pick up both belts cheaply from EuroCarParts, and half an hour will see them changed.
(Don't forget to clean any residue out of the pulley grooves).

On The Other Car a belt change is a major operation, about equal to a cam belt change on a jimny ;) so I am happy to spray it every couple of weeks until I get a day with nice weather, and no jobs around the house. (Likely it will still be on the same belt in 10 years time then :laugh: )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2014 12:56 #99031 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
If you spray any thing o the belt make sure is not flamable iv known silicon spray to catch lightwhen spraying near an alternator also facade you dont need to dismantal any thing to change the belts

like its been said try retightening it so you have 90° of twist or replace it or you could try putting talcon powder on the ridge part of the belt or pas/auto fluid is the best iv found

More
04 Jan 2014 13:37 #99035 by facade

markyp2000 wrote: also facade you dont need to dismantal any thing to change the belts

Not on a jimny no, which is why I changed the belts on mine in October.

The Other Car is a Nissan Note. You have to take the drivers side wheel off, then remove an access panel from under the wing (which breaks a few of those plastic expanding rivets as the large ones are single use) to get at the lock bolt on the belt tensioner, then you lie under the car and feel above the air-con pump for the adjuster bolt and slacken it off, then you can finally take the belt off through the access panel and clean the pulleys, then fit the new belt, re-tension, replace the panel as best as you can (get some new plastic rivets on order) replace the wheel and its done!

(By all accounts, the squeal comes back in about 3 months too :ohmy: )

To change the sparkplugs the inlet manifold has to come off, which needs a new gasket, another triumph of design for Nissan :dry:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2014 13:45 #99037 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
Better than a v6 renault espace to change the plug you take the engine out and to change the cam belt 18 hours work no problem lol

More
04 Jan 2014 14:29 #99043 by minibbb
Ah I see, shall avoid spraying anything on the belts then! Sorry, I'm a mechanical novice!!

Weather been appalling today so no chance to get the bonnet up, shall have a proper look at them tomorrow and if necessary book it in to get the belt changed. Don't want it failing on me if/when we get some snow!

• Leathery1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2014 23:43 #99321 by Leathery1
Replied by Leathery1 on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
Had an occasional squeal since the cam belt was changes by Suzuki dealer 4 years ago.
Only really happens in the wet (2 ft deep plus these days!).
Usually on start up and idsappears when you dip the clutch for some reason, then starts up again when you lift the clutch.
Belts are good, properly tensioned, pulleys are clean. Drives me nuts when it happens!
Decided to leave it alone until I can't stand it any more then change the lot and see if it works.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds