BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Handbrake light stays on.

More
23 Sep 2015 15:24 #152426 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Handbrake light stays on.
It's your ignition switch that it's a bit worn.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2017 20:30 #184760 by yakuza

Yellostreak wrote: the brake warning light serves both the handbrake and also the fluid level..

If its still not working then its either the ignition switch or ABS if you have it fitted.

from the manual

So i had my ignition switch out today cause I have the same problem with the light that stays on. Tried unhooking both handbrake and fluid level switch, and light still on, so thought it would be the switch. It was actually serviceable so had it open and it looked very nice inside, no wear or anything broken. If you ever open yours, keep the white part down or springs will fall on your messy floor and you will search for it for a long time unless you are very lucky like me and find it right away...

Anyways I have only the ABS to check now. Does anyone know how to?

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
02 Oct 2017 21:27 #184762 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Handbrake light stays on.
Picture shows the switch on the steering column opposite the lock, and the switch dismantled. Six small springs, two shiny discs. Contact points on the black piece.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Oct 2017 17:22 - 03 Oct 2017 17:23 #184801 by yakuza
Does anyone know where to find the diode in the line from the handbrake light to the ABS shown in the scheme/page from the manual above?

Last edit: 03 Oct 2017 17:23 by yakuza.

More
05 Oct 2017 06:09 #184858 by yakuza

yakuza wrote: Does anyone know where to find the diode in the line from the handbrake light to the ABS shown in the scheme/page from the manual above?

Found DIODE #1 in the manual, supposed to be behind the stereo. will look at it later..

More
15 May 2018 10:30 #192707 by yakuza
My brake light still shines.. all the time.
I will adress the problem again some time soon and was wondering if aynone has had any more updates or experiences on this lately?

to recap:
unhooking switches on brake fluid reservoir and hand brake switch does not make the light go off.
Ignition switch does look great and no has no play for wiggling it.
Unhooking ABS fuses and/or abs central unit only made the ABS light come on, brake warning still shines.
Never found the diode in the dash as noted in the diagram from the manual.
Diode still looks like it only stops signals from reservoir to return to ABS unit.

I will try to follow the wires from the bulb in the dashboard cluster and measure where the signal comes from if possible.

More
16 May 2018 08:20 #192743 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Handbrake light stays on.
With the engine running, slowly turn the key back towards the off position. If the light goes out before the engine turns off its the ignition barrell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
16 May 2018 10:56 #192750 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Handbrake light stays on.

Busta wrote: With the engine running, slowly turn the key back towards the off position. If the light goes out before the engine turns off its the ignition barrell.

Went out and tried this, engine died exactly when the light went out.
I'll try again later with the handbrake and reservoir switches unhooked..

More
16 May 2018 12:20 #192753 by theoldseacaptain
Maybe too simple, but sounds like a chafed wire from either the handbrake switch or fluid sensor grounding to the body if the ignition switch is OK and unplugging both made no difference. Have you checked for continuity between the (unplugged) connections and ground with the ignition turned off? Might be a good starting point before tracing the cabling back.

Sadly jimny-less but still got the bug!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2018 22:05 #192759 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Handbrake light stays on.
Maybe stupid, but pull the handbrake plastic cover and check for anything laying around the cable. I once spend hours looking for faults and it appeared to be a coin stucked down there!

More
22 May 2018 08:04 #192859 by yakuza
Good tip to measure if the wires are grounded somewhere, then i can start in the other end of it so to say.
The fact that this is a constant and clear and bright light and not at all intermittent would suggest something has been hooked up wrong or something. Have been thinking about removing all i ever did to the electrical system and see if it helps as well.

I had lots of coins, and thought i had found the culprit when i collected them.
But sadly did not help to remove them other than filling my wallet..
The switch itself is ok and without coins.

More
04 Jun 2018 05:39 #193189 by yakuza
Yesterday i had the cluster out and measured the connector G93 to see if anything was grounded on its way in to the cluster that might turn the handbrake light on. Pins 13 and 14 on G93 connector (green) with red/blk wires was acc. to the FSM the wires from handbrake and brake fluid reservoir. found the handbrake wire was ok and had correct signal/function and the other had no ground.
The wire from the ignition i could not find in the FSM other that it had the pin next to the 13/14 inside the cluster so guessed it was the one next to the 13/14 and this one got grounded with the ignition on "ST" so it seems that the ignition also works.
The FSM is lacking in info on signals for the brake warning light other than the pins 13/14 on the G93 connector.
But the other scheme as above here states as is correct that the light should come on with the ignition.
For some reason (my own stupidity?) i cannot find this in the FSM.

Is there anything inside the cluster that should break this grounding from the ignition lock when the engine starts?
guessing the oil pressure?

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds