BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Genuine Catalytic Converter

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2013 18:50 #77471 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter

Busta wrote: My exhaust split just infront of the cat. I would normally have gone for one of the £70 ebay ones but as the car was still under dealer warranty I bought a slightly more expensive (but still non-genuine) one from euro car parts.

At about £105 I expected it to come with a heatshield, but it didn't, and retro-fitting the suzuki heat shield wouldn't have been easy. It hasn't caused any management issues though.

Euro car parts :laugh: :woohoo: do hope your going to keep the invoice safe as it will possably fail the mot nex year

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• i5jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2013 20:06 #77478 by i5jimny
Replied by i5jimny on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
It's ok it will be genuine as it is a local garage doing the work and not the dealer i bought the Jimny from. The bill for parts & labour is over £1000 so I have to admit to being well pleased with response from dealer I purchased from, I was expecting to have a bit of bother getting them to authorise the work.

More
18 Jul 2013 20:18 - 13 Aug 2013 21:24 #77480 by dirtydogz

helijohn wrote:

dirtydogz wrote: I second that, get it welded and save your self some money, I've just had my cat welded for £20 and it's just passed the M.O.T.

Did you remove it or did the repairer do the teardown as well as the welding or was it done in situ?? :unsure: :unsure:

Yes I removed the cat off the jimny and market the cat with a marker pen so the welder could line it up before i removed it.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 13 Aug 2013 21:24 by dirtydogz.

More
18 Jul 2013 20:50 #77485 by Johnniehec

dirtydogz wrote:

helijohn wrote:

dirtydogz wrote: I second that, get it welded and save your self some money, I've just had my cat welded for £20 and it's just passed the M.O.T.

Did you remove it or did the repairer do the teardown as well as the welding or was it done in situ?? :unsure: :unsure:

Yes I removed the cat for the jimny and market the cat with a marker pen so the welder could line it up before i removed it.

It's a common problem, mine split there, easy weld as it's sleeved.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
18 Jul 2013 23:55 - 19 Jul 2013 07:56 #77499 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter

markyp2000 wrote:

Busta wrote: My exhaust split just infront of the cat. I would normally have gone for one of the £70 ebay ones but as the car was still under dealer warranty I bought a slightly more expensive (but still non-genuine) one from euro car parts.

At about £105 I expected it to come with a heatshield, but it didn't, and retro-fitting the suzuki heat shield wouldn't have been easy. It hasn't caused any management issues though.

Euro car parts :laugh: :woohoo: do hope your going to keep the invoice safe as it will possably fail the mot nex year

MOT next month so we'll soon find out! I've had lots of non-genuine cats before without trouble. Is the Jimny particularly susceptible to failing on emissions? I've got the old one I welded up on the shelf anyway.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 07:56 by Busta.

More
13 Aug 2013 09:20 #79742 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
Just to follow this up, it passed the MOT with the non-genuine CAT and no problems whatsoever.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2013 18:36 #79781 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
Good news .................. ;)

More
14 Aug 2013 06:52 #79839 by jamesey
Replied by jamesey on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
Euro car parts there right cheap

More
27 Oct 2019 19:40 - 27 Oct 2019 22:14 #215182 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
Is the message here that Europarts quality is poor? I’m asking because I think ours may be blowing and they’re only a mile from my house. Having said that they’re charging £289 at the moment against approximately £70 on eBay. Having said that there’s several on eBay and hard to tell them apart. Some suggest lamda sensors and others not which I have no clue over. Advice welcome.

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2019 22:14 by Paul4A.

More
28 Oct 2019 06:56 - 28 Oct 2019 07:21 #215193 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
On my 2005 jimny there are two cats, one in the manifold, and one down below.
On my car, (and my mates 2004) the no1 cat had disintegrated and some large parts flipped sideways and constricted everything. the powder and smaller debris from it travelled down and got stuck in cat 2 as well.
So I removed the no1 cat by cutting the housing open, cleaned it up, and weld it shut again. Little or no difference in speed and performance. still passed MOT here in Norway.
So next step was to change the no2 cat. Bought an aftermarket cat at our scandinavian Halfords called Biltema cost about 70£. they also had the weld nipple for the snesor.
Welded it intoo the exhaust system where the original was before. kept both lambda sensors in the same positions.Later i also changed the narrow pipe between the manifold and the no2 cat.
WOW the difference in performance and engine noises and everything.
Went from going up a steep hill in third gear high rev and max 80kmh to fifth gear 120kmh and still accelerating.

Still passes MOT. Sometimes during either long drives or cold weather or plunging into a cold puddle, the engine light comes on and says insufficient exhaust emissions something. Happened four times last year or so but I just reset the ECU and it's gone until the next time.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 07:21 by yakuza.

More
01 Nov 2019 18:47 #215273 by kirkynut

Paul4A wrote: Is the message here that Europarts quality is poor? I’m asking because I think ours may be blowing and they’re only a mile from my house. Having said that they’re charging £289 at the moment against approximately £70 on eBay. Having said that there’s several on eBay and hard to tell them apart. Some suggest lamda sensors and others not which I have no clue over. Advice welcome.

Paul

Yes. Some of what they sell is absolutely rubbish. I've returned so much because it either doesn't fit or just doesn't work, which they always take without a quibble but it's the grief.

I now only buy big branded stuff from them. Anything else has a question mark over it.

I had a garage fit a water pump to the Mrs old BMW with the instructions for it to have a metal impeller and not be rubbish. 20k miles later I find it was leaking and was Circoli from Eurocarparts.

If you want a good pattern cat, go to a local Motor Factors and pay a few hundred for it. Don't use Kwik Fit or Formula 1 who have Eurocarparts vans in and out all day.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Nov 2019 19:27 #215278 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Genuine Catalytic Converter
Eurocarparts, the living embodiment of "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" and "buy cheap, buy twice ".

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds