BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suzuki Transfer case PTO

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 16:48 #60573 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Love the god winch made from a diff unit so i found on 1 thread and look strange not hydro not electric its PTO think this debate is over :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 16:50 #60574 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO

Dave cc wrote: Love the god winch made from a diff unit so i found on 1 thread and look strange not hydro not electric its PTO think this debate is over :laugh:

No question PTO winches are by far the fastest.
Check this, if you haven't already seen it.
bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny-cha...-very-fast-pto-winch

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 17:17 #60581 by Dave cc
If you read the threads on the God winch think they have been ruled illegal not suprising really like a ruddy catapult

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 20:11 #60602 by Dave cc
Love this one to just the winch not the shite box on the end

More
02 Feb 2013 12:39 #60649 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
I had a PTO winch on my old Series III, brilliant piece of kit for recovering other people.

Only downsides are for self recovery
  • if you are stuck in a lake with a dead engine the winch doesn't work.
  • If you are trying to winch and drive forwards it is virtually impossible to keep tension on the cable as you cant change the speed the wheels turn at (except with another gear) and it won't spool properly.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2013 13:19 - 02 Feb 2013 13:22 #60651 by TomDK

Dave cc wrote: If you read the threads on the God winch think they have been ruled illegal not suprising really like a ruddy catapult

Illegal ?

how's that?
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 13:22 by TomDK.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2013 13:24 #60652 by TomDK

facade wrote: I had a PTO winch on my old Series III, brilliant piece of kit for recovering other people.

Only downsides are for self recovery

• if you are stuck in a lake with a dead engine the winch doesn't work.
  • If you are trying to winch and drive forwards it is virtually impossible to keep tension on the cable as you cant change the speed the wheels turn at (except with another gear) and it won't spool properly.

Sorry, but can't see the problem. Unless the winch is really slow.
If cable-tension is an issue then choose a lower gear.

BTW, same problem occurs with almost any electric winch. They're usually slower than 1st gear in low range of most 4x4's.

More
02 Feb 2013 14:00 #60656 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Have to say that I never tried to drive whilst winching, never needed to, but a slack cable won't spool.

Mine was ex-GPO, I think for erecting telegraph poles, and came with a hand throttle for use with the PTO.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Amphibian
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2013 20:27 #80530 by Amphibian
Replied by Amphibian on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Interesting you should mention a propeller. Have a look at these Jimny based vehicles...

timdutton.com/

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2013 21:54 #80549 by Dave cc
Run a Google search on him his car and the law suits :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
21 Aug 2013 20:49 #80675 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO

Paul4x4 wrote: Here in Finland most of the old SJ's and Samurai's are equipped with the PTO. A truck with a PTO was eligible for some tax reliefs back in the 80's, because it was then a sort of an agricultural vehicle or something, but I don't think anyone ever actually used the thing for anything. I have about three of those boxed somewhere in my garage.

I'm looking for a PTO for my Blitz as I want to be able to use it as an occasional 'tractor'. Do you want to sell me a box? or have you any contacts in Finland who would ship to the UK? Redacted is a possibility but a genuine box would be cool.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2013 13:30 #80743 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO

Rhinoman wrote:

Paul4x4 wrote: Here in Finland most of the old SJ's and Samurai's are equipped with the PTO. A truck with a PTO was eligible for some tax reliefs back in the 80's, because it was then a sort of an agricultural vehicle or something, but I don't think anyone ever actually used the thing for anything. I have about three of those boxed somewhere in my garage.

I'm looking for a PTO for my Blitz as I want to be able to use it as an occasional 'tractor'. Do you want to sell me a box? or have you any contacts in Finland who would ship to the UK? Redacted is a possibility but a genuine box would be cool.

Well, I might sell you one if you want, but I just have to do some digging in the garage first and see if I can find those PTO's, because I have no idea where they are! :lol: And they are disassembled, because you have to take them apart to remove them, so I need to find all the pieces and bolts needed for a complete unit. All of those are from Sammi/SJ413 t-boxes, so the input shafts gear might be different from the 410's input shaft.

But shipping isn't a problem. :)

And what the heck is a Blitz? :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds