BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suzuki Transfer case PTO

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 21:56 - 31 Jan 2013 21:57 #60466 by Dave cc
Suzuki Transfer case PTO was created by Dave cc
Came across this tonite anybody seen got one or know anything about sj transfer case with PTO output ?

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 21:57 by Dave cc. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 23:06 #60478 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Hi

I know Redacted makes these. About £180 For a PTO on a SJ/Samurai T-box :-)

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 23:06 #60479 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Have heard about them but thats it.
What did it come off and what was pto used for on a little suzuki?

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 23:12 #60480 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
I like the idea of PTO. Winching (non comp perhaps) would be cool.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2013 23:15 #60483 by TomDK
Indeed would be very interesting. But PTO winches aren't exactly cheap. A hydraulic winch solution would probably be cheaper and easier.

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 07:05 #60497 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
im thinking about making a high speed pto driven winch is why i ask biggest arse would be routing the drive shaft all the way to the front hydraulic a option but damn slow no good for any sort of competion

Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 08:39 #60508 by TomDK
Hydraulic winch slow?

It can be as fast as you want it to. Just a matter of choosing a pump and motor with big enough displacement.. Well probably also other things to consider as well. But a hydraulic winch can be just as fast as any Gigglepin winch.. or faster.

• Dave cc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 13:17 #60536 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Never seen a high speed hydraulic cant see how that would really work without massive pump tank oil coolers etc grass roots fast powerfull winches for tractors and timber hauling generally are PTO driven seems very little point IMO of taking mechanical force converting it to hydraulic then back to mechanical to make the winch work surely just be better to keep it mechanical and will also allow you to vary the winch speed massivly by what gear you select in the car

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 13:33 - 01 Feb 2013 13:37 #60540 by TomDK
There aren't many out there. But there are some. Take a look at Saley winches. There's some om Devon4x4 forum.

www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_ku...temid=106&view=topic

You could also take a look at the a Goodwinch hydraulic winch. It's a 2 speed winch.
Compare it's low speed with standard 8274 you see it's much faster. also much faster than any GP gearing.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 13:37 by TomDK.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 13:39 #60541 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO
Here in Finland most of the old SJ's and Samurai's are equipped with the PTO. A truck with a PTO was eligible for some tax reliefs back in the 80's, because it was then a sort of an agricultural vehicle or something, but I don't think anyone ever actually used the thing for anything. I have about three of those boxed somewhere in my garage.

It really can't be used to run a mechanical winch, because those gears in the PTO must be from a cuckoo clock or something, so it isn't meant for any hard use. And because it points towards the rear, makes it even more useless...

We have an old joke here, suggesting to put a small propeller to the PTO, so it would help in river crossings and such! :laugh:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 13:40 #60542 by TomDK

Paul4x4 wrote: Here in Finland most of the old SJ's and Samurai's are equipped with the PTO. A truck with a PTO was eligible for some tax reliefs back in the 80's, because it was then a sort of an agricultural vehicle or something, but I don't think anyone ever actually used the thing for anything. I have about three of those boxed somewhere in my garage.

It really can't be used to run a mechanical winch, because those gears in the PTO must be from a cuckoo clock or something, so it isn't meant for any hard use. And because it points towards the rear, makes it even more useless...

We have an old joke here, suggesting to put a small propeller to the PTO, so it would help in river crossings and such! :laugh:

But it could run a hydraulic pump :-)

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2013 13:55 #60545 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Suzuki Transfer case PTO

TomDK wrote: But it could run a hydraulic pump :-)

Yeah, it could, but I think it would still be as easy or easier to fit a belt driven pump in the engine compartment.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds