BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

cruise control

More
16 Sep 2012 14:18 - 17 Sep 2012 09:38 #48194 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic cruise control
The wiring is virtually done but I'm a bit stuck on the clutch switch mounting. I'm going to get some U type exhaust clamps and mount the supplied bracket on to the steering column as it will be much easier.
Then it's up on the ramps tomorrow maybe to get the propshaft sensor on but in the meantime here are some pics.

pic 1 is the bulky switch. I might raise it up a little to clear the warning light on the switch next to it.

pic 2 is the vacuum servo and the cable runs up to the bulkhead and round to the throttle.
The vacuum pipe has been extended with some copper brake pipe round the back of the engine to the manifold.

pic 3 Here you can see the double clamp on the throttle cable outer and the cruise control cable inner clamped to the throttle cable inner. I've had to trim the edge of the outer cable clamp because of the curve in the Jimny cable.
You get other brackets and fitments to go on the throttle quadrant which may suit earlier cars or other vehicles.
When the cruise control is off the c/c inner cable is free to slip through the clamp joining the 2 inner cables but when switched on the vacuum servo pulls the throttle cable.All the wiring has been routed through the main grommet up in the top left of the passenger footwell so no drilling(yet) lol

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2012 09:38 by gilburton. Reason: correction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2012 16:16 - 18 Sep 2012 16:18 #48308 by gilburton
Bit of a delay but I have now fitted the clutch switch and wired it in. Sorry no pics as it's an awkward position but I bought a universal exhaust hanger and removed the flexible bit.
The original bracket was bolted to this and it was clamped high up on the steering column with the bracket bent at right angles and hanging down parallel to the column.
Some adjustment(ok bending/bodging) will be required to align the switches. Both halves of these are stuck on with sticky pads reinforced by cable ties all supplied.
It's a magnetic reed switch so it just has to be 5-10mm apart when closed. I can hear mine clicking when the clutch pedal is pushed down. :)
It took a couple of hours to fit and align the switches not because it's technically hard but it's so awkward to work under there.
The wiring is not difficult but it takes a bit of studying.
If anybody decides to get one after I test mine I'll tell you where the switch wires go on the Jimny.
So far,time wise,I estimate it's taken around 5/6 hrs from the start.
My wife uses the car during the day and I work nights so it might take another few days until I can get underneath to fit the magnetic sensors on the(front???) prop shaft so the next installment might be the weekend. :unsure:

Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 16:18 by gilburton. Reason: addition

More
18 Sep 2012 17:45 #48314 by facade
Replied by facade on topic cruise control
The sensor needs to go on the rear propshaft. (The front doesn't go round :) ) However, it will work fine on the short prop out of the gearbox, you are unlikely to change ratio with a set speed memorised.

Doesn't the kit have provision to use the speedo signal?
Still fitting a separate sensor means the whole system is isolated from the original car electronics.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
18 Sep 2012 18:46 #48320 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic cruise control
I had cruise control on my 1967 2A, A bit of half inch dowel about 14 inches long jammed between the accelerator pedal and the underside of the dash... just had to remember to kick it out of the way when you went for the brake!!

John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
22 Sep 2012 09:09 - 22 Sep 2012 09:11 #48526 by gilburton
I didn't realise the Jimny had an electronic speedo. Yes I can connect it but can anyone tell me if I can access the speedo wire easily?? I just have to connect a single wire to the speedo feed.
What colour is it and if I can't get at it lower down on the dashboard does the speedo come out easily?
If it's quite a major job I'll go with the sensor on the propshaft. The length of wire supplied may dictate where it goes unless there is a grommet or drain hole in the floor??
At the moment I've routed it through the main harness grommet in the upper left hand corner of the passenger footwell but I'm reluctant to drill the floor for the wire and bracket..

Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 09:11 by gilburton. Reason: correction

More
22 Sep 2012 10:21 #48529 by facade
Replied by facade on topic cruise control
The electronic sensor for the speedo is at the back of the transfer box where the rear propshaft comes out.
Don't know the wire colours, or where that wire goes to I'm afraid, may go to the ecu, or may go to the instrument cluster. I would imagine that the wire colour will be unique to the speed signal though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
22 Sep 2012 10:45 - 22 Sep 2012 10:47 #48530 by gilburton
I just need to identify the wire that goes to the speedo itself. I don't know if fitting to the sensor would work?
The instructions are here

It's multi language so you'll have to wade through it to GB but at least it's not Chinglish :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 10:47 by gilburton.

More
20 Nov 2012 13:35 - 20 Nov 2012 15:23 #53753 by gilburton
Just an update. When I first took it out on a test drive it just wasn't working.
Basically after a lot of fiddling I accidentally found out that it was working but only at around 15mph! I checked and rechecked the wiring etc. and went over the troubleshooter a few times. I also added/removed magnets on the prop.
On the troubleshooter there is a static test whereby you can get the servo working without the car moving.
Once again this didn't work BUT, more through frustration than knowledge, I accidentally found out that it was working but you had to hold the set button down for a long time until the control unit/servo edged up in 1 mph increments and pulled the throttle cable. THAT was it. The throttle cable was too slack(see the pic of the cable fixings and you can see the slack in the throttle cable)
Once that was sorted the static test worked but on the road it still wasn't coming in at the correct road speeds.
On the control box there is a wire loop that can be cut to increase the impulses so I did!
I can now cruise at a comfortable 50-60mph ;)
Anyone thinking of fitting one It's no real problem to fit as long as you have a basic reasonable knowledge of electrics/mechanics.
The instructions look daunting but if taken step by step as in the instructions it soon comes together.
If you have a garage to do it in It can be done in a day.
Apart from the comprehensive kit you will need some copper brake tubing to extend the vacuum pipe over to the n/s wing(as pic) and a U clamp to mount the clutch switch bracket to the steering column.
If you wanted to cut the vacuum servo bowden cable you could mount the servo nearer the vacuum supply.
I fitted the magnetic sensor to the rear of the transfer box and prop shaft in a similar way to the fwd illustration.
The instructions tell you to drill the floor and mount the bracket but there is too much movement in the transfer box for the 3-5mm clearance required and you will lose the magnet.
This is a bit low for any off roaders but ok for road use. No doubt it could be fitted elsewhere for you off roaders.
The only holes drilled were 2 small self tappers for the control box and one on the inner wing for the servo. There is already an unused threaded hole there.
Don't forget if you change vehicles it can be removed.
If anyone wants any advice/info please ask. :)

Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 15:23 by gilburton.

More
27 Nov 2012 11:02 - 27 Nov 2012 11:15 #54286 by gilburton
Just been up to my daughters in Wakefield which is 2hrs each way(longest journey so far) and I can say the cruise control works very well and saves my right ankle. I set it at 50mph on the A1 and most things passed me making a very easy journey.
No need to worry about speed cameras on those long restricted 40/50 mph sections and the Jimny trundles along easily at these speeds. :)
I'm still not sure about the position of the control switch although it's easily reached it's a bit ugly and stands out. Maybe I'll paint it grey or matt black lol
The Jimny does not have a lot of space but I'll have a think about it.
It can be fitted just about anywhere you like as long as it is easily reached and you don't have to reach through the steering wheel.
If anyone could identify the speedo wire from the sensor(08 vvt) I would try to use that instead of the propshaft sensor.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 11:15 by gilburton.

More
21 Dec 2012 10:54 #55912 by gilburton
Just an uodate I'm very pleased with the kit and it does what it says on the tin.
I'm about to retire and bored :unsure: so if anyone is interested in this kit but is a bit put off by the complexity if you supply the kit I'd be willing to fit it for a one off fee of £100. It takes about a day to fit and I'm in Northants.
The control switch is flat backed and comes with sticky tape so if you don't want it in the same place as mine it can be fitted on top of the dash or on the side of the centre console etc.
If you want to see it in operation first feel free to come over and see mine working.
I'm not a dealer just someone who trained as an aircraft mechanic in the Navy and had a lifelong interest in cars/bikes. I'm currently setting myself up to do minor repairs/tyre fitting etc on bikes(sorry no cars as I don't have the room for major work) so once again if anyone wants something doing at a reasonable agreed one off fee please contact me.

More
03 Mar 2013 08:09 #64408 by gilburton
I did a long run yesterday with the intention of taking into account the mpg on cruise control.
Most of my journeys so far have been mainly local so I don't get much of a chance to use it or check mpg but with summer coming up and towing my small caravan I expect to be using it a bit more.
I can confirm that with cruise control on for 95% of the time and doing the calculations on the computer I got.......... dadah(fanfare) :) ......... 37.776 mpg at a steady 55 mph on the speedo so is probably nearer 53 mph.
The car is standard so I don't expect large tyres will get the same result but it should improve mpg on any setup.
There is no doubt the vacuum servo increases mpg as it's a lot steadier than your foot and it helps a lot with fatigue on long journeys.
I have a dodgy right ankle which locks up a bit on those long boring steady journeys where you don't move your foot much so for me it was worth fitting. ;)

• Heavicol
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2014 20:00 #102921 by Heavicol
Replied by Heavicol on topic cruise control
Hi

I feel inspired by your blog and am going to have a go on my 2005 VVT. Did you ever identify the speedo cable colour or a suitable connection point?

Colin

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds