BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny EGR valve

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2012 23:00 #44571 by Dave c
Jimny EGR valve was created by Dave c
Has anyone had any problems with there EGR valve on there single cam 16v jimny ???
Not sure if they ever give any trouble ??
Also as the name suggests EGR being Exhaust Gas Recirculation.how does it connect to the Exhaust side of the engine when its bolted to the inlet manifold side or am i missing somthing :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 06:40 #44577 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
Hi mate,

The exhaust gases are passed back through a approx 10-12 mm metal pipe from the exhaust maniforld back to inlet manifold.

They can give trouble on any car.

Are you having problems with the running of your vehicle or something?

Steve.

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 07:17 #44580 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
I have had problems on 2 occasions with these valves. What I cant get my head around is this.We fit air cleaners to keep the inlet air clean. Then we pump dirty oily exhaust gas back into the engine. Where is the logic.

More
20 Jul 2012 07:30 #44581 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
its done to keep emissions down. not applicable on a diesel , only visible smoke so that's why many disconnect them on diesel motors.

standard jimny - for now

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 09:10 #44584 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
EGR helps warm the engine up quicker to get it to run at it most afishancy in emisions and is the egr on a jimny passed back through the head not a pipe correct me if im wrong

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 10:31 #44589 by Dave c
Replied by Dave c on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
that does sound right as i cant see a pipe back to the exhaust manifold so must come through the head just seems to be bolted to the inlet manifold with a steel pipe up to the plenum generally EGR valves ive seen in the past are bolted to the exhaust manifold themselves with a pipe feeding into the plenum.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 13:40 #44598 by markyp2000
if you think its giving troble blank it off and and see how it goes

More
20 Jul 2012 17:04 #44601 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
I've a spare manifold complete if you are interested?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
20 Jul 2012 17:15 #44602 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve

markyp2000 wrote: if you think its giving trouble blank it off and and see how it goes

That should light up the eml. The ecu usually pulses the valve and looks for a change in rpm.

On a petrol engine the egr valve when working increases engine efficiency at part load, and keeps exhaust gas temperatures down, so the valves last longer.

It is disabled at full load.

Diesels are a different story...

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 18:35 #44607 by markyp2000
i said blank it off and see how it goes only for diagnostics resons not leave it blanked off if it better ether clean the egr or replace it or leave it alone and live with it but rereading the first post have you got a problem or are you just asking if thay give problems

• Dave c
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 23:12 #44636 by Dave c
Replied by Dave c on topic Re: Jimny EGR valve
Yes i do have a problem engine starts fine runs good until it warms up then starts to idle rough as hell
Cant really get to the bottom of the problem its a 1.6 motor with jim jam inlet ecu and fitted wih the green/blue baleno injectors.
If i introduce a very small amount of air into the manifold by just cracking 1 of the vac hoses it smooths out and runs good and as the EGR pipe runs into the manifold as wondering when does it feed the gases back in and could it be the valve is not opening or there is maybe a blockage,
EGR just seems to be one of them thing you have to live with but is hard to grasp what effect it has

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 11:37 #44665 by markyp2000
could be a coolent temp sensor when it warm the ecu may think its still cold and is putting to much fuel in and when you crack the pipe off you put more air in which is going to weeken the mixchure down may be

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds