BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hub lubrication

• foxshooter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2010 12:03 #3623 by foxshooter
Hub lubrication was created by foxshooter
My jimny finally has its recon axle in position.

However the wheel bearings sound dry as a dry thing :(

Does the hub get its lubrication from the diff (I havent checked if the axle was shipped dry yet) or is it some sort of grease pack.

If its oil from the diff then is there a particular grade of oil I need to be using?

If its some sort of one shot grease I need then it looks like CAM suzuki have struck again with their crap service as the axle was supposed to have been fully recoditioned!

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2010 12:14 #3624 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Hub lubrication
Definately NOT lubricated from the diff oil. Should be grease packed when built.

In support of CAM, even when I have thoroughly greased my new ones they don't sound particularly smooth as there are a lot of other bits and pieces rotating as well, all making noises (including the disc brake on a full assembled unit).

Its going to be difficult to check without taking the hub apart. If you can get to the back of the hub insert where the bearing sits it will be possible to see if it is freshly greased or rusted out.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• foxshooter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2010 14:15 #3625 by foxshooter
Replied by foxshooter on topic Re:Hub lubrication
Cheers Martin

my mechanic has mentioned pulling the hub to bits and checking. More money spent

I dont suppose you have those hub tools in your possession yet do you Martin as I'll bet my soul that my local garage hasnt got the tool for the job

As yet there are no discs or brakes fitted, we are spinning the axle using the ABS ring

I'd like to be able to trust CAM but as yet all they have done is let me down, they say the right words make loads of promises and then fail to deliver on all counts. If I ever conclude my dealings with them I'll certainly never use them again or recommend them to anyone who needs a reconditioned axle

Mark

More
14 Jun 2010 14:23 #3626 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Hub lubrication
Mark,

You dont need the tool to inspect the bearing, only to remove it.

Tell your mechanic to undo the small circlip holding the hub to the driveshaft at the front and then undo the 4 large bolts behind the disc holding the hub to the knuckle joint. The hub should then pull off but it will be stiff as it should have been assembled with gasket sealant.

I have received a "missed" delivery message from the courier on the Hub Tools, he must have hidden around the corner and spotted the moment my wife popped out as she has been in most of the day.

Martin
Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• foxshooter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2010 15:23 #3627 by foxshooter
Replied by foxshooter on topic Re:Hub lubrication
Much appreciated. I'll pass the info on

I look forward to hearing about the hub tools too

Mark

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds