BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Solenoids (NOT a Jimny question)

More
31 May 2010 17:10 - 01 Jun 2010 04:09 #3503 by mlines
I know that some knowledgeable people watch this forum!

My 3.0 Litre Mercury engined power boat has a double solenoid system fitted to the starter mechanism.

Its all 12 volts and a slave solenoid mounted to the side of the engine "fires" the main solenoid sitting on top of the starter motor. Mine has gone intermittent and looking on the Internet this is a common failure.

It looks to me that there is probably a back EMF or pulse spark from the main solenoid that is burning the contacts of the slave solenoid. Is there any simple way to add in some spark supression that will increase the life of the replacement slave solenoid I have coming in the post. The Internet suggests the live of the slave solenoid is a short one! Its a 12 volt system, would an suppressor capacitor from an old style ignition system help, reverse diodes? neon arrestor?

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 01 Jun 2010 04:09 by mlines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2010 16:06 #3524 by MigCooper
Hi Martin

"From what I remember" from my electronics training, the best solution for that would be to use a Diode. That is commonly used in relays to extend their live spam. I actually think that most new ones come with one integrated already. The only problem is to find one that can take the current that will flow in it.
How many amps is the battery installed on the boat? ;)

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

More
03 Jun 2010 05:21 #3528 by facade
Hi,

I assume you mean that you have a relay connected so as to energise the starter solenoid?

As in the last post, a simple diode wired so the cathode (positive/banded) end is towards battery positive will do the trick. A 1n5401 5A diode is rated to carry 200A spikes, so it should be ok.

I would have thought a 30A relay would last years switching the solenoid coil unprotected though, it is all that most cars use.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
06 Jun 2010 18:42 - 06 Jun 2010 18:42 #3569 by mlines
Fitted a new solenoid and took apart the old one. Looks like its been overheating rather than arcing??

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2010 18:42 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds