BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering damper

• DVs-Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2011 17:48 #23554 by DVs-Jimny
Steering damper was created by DVs-Jimny
I purchased the budget bracket from the BigJimny shop and got a fantastic service as usual, also got an Armstrong LR damper.

Now I have a little bit of confusion and could do with some assistance.

1. Do I turn the wheel to full lock and fully extend the damper and then tighten up the bracket??
2. Does it matter what way round the BigJimny bracket goes?

IE

or

Thanks in advance :)

PS Actually wired up the roof lights today :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2011 17:57 #23557 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Steering damper
I did it the other way around, turn the steering to fully compress the damper, then expand it slightly and clamp. This avoids it hitting the end stop of the damper.

The bracket goes either way around depending on the damper you have and the clamping position on the arm.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: DVs-Jimny

• DVs-Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2011 18:04 #23558 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Re: Steering damper
Cheers Martin, much appreciated.

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2011 18:12 #23560 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Steering damper
Hi. I got that bracket / damper combo.

I put the steering straight ahead, worked out the length of the damper at the middle of it's travel and set it in that position (old maths teacher would be proud of me) and then (having enlarged the hole in the towing bracket) offered up the shocker and worked out where the bracket should be. Attached if all finger tight and then turned to one lock and checked, then the other lock and checked. Quick tightening of all the nuts and bolts and one test drive later, well pleased. The damper and steering working a treat - no more unexpected lane changing ;) it even survived Wagtail!!

I hope this helps! It's worked for me. there is no fouling anyway.

With 225/75/15 ats it's made a massive difference - 225/75 MTs calmed a lot but my forearms need a work out.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2011 19:07 #23566 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Steering damper
i also did mine with the steering straight & measured the damper to find the center position then fitted it & did same on my bro's both worked out fine

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2018 19:04 #196479 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Steering damper
Do steering dampers help if you’ve put larger wheels and tyres on? Recently put 235/75 ATs on 8j steel rims and they’re trying to pull me into hedges with every bump in the road :p

More
03 Oct 2018 19:35 #196481 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Steering damper
In a word yes I fitted 225/75/16's and found it sort of bouncey
I made my own brackets and used a disco one damper really easy to make and fit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

More
03 Oct 2018 20:22 #196483 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Steering damper
I'm only on 215's and found the steering damper a great improvement, making the car feel more solid, less prone to wander. I suppose it just slows things a little and lets my dodgy reactions keep up. A must do if you look at cost v benefit.

I bought a JB kit but I've seen what jack fabricated from a little box section, bit of cutting and drill a few holes. Looks like it was engineered and if you can beg a bit of box section, it just needs some time and a few bolts.

sniper

More
04 Oct 2018 19:36 #196499 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Steering damper
I have 215.80.15 Malatesta Kaimans and removed mine for the MOT as the bushes were shot and it didn't have one from the factory.

I can notice a tiny bit more bump steer but it's not enough for me to say I miss it.

I'll get more bushes as and when but I'm in no rush. It just depends on when I next make an order from the Big Jimny shop!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Kabani
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2018 01:07 #196542 by Kabani
Replied by Kabani on topic Steering damper
Hello. At the end, yes. It feels way more solid with the damper.
I installed it because I had a death wobble experience. I thought it was the solution but it was more than that. old Rod ends, Wide tyres, loose bolts etc... I fix all those and then I was able to accelarate to 120 km/h with no wobble.
I still want to fix something to my current damper installation.. I hope you dont make the same mistake.
The weight of bracket near the steering arm does some torsion downwards and I feel that is gonna wear the rod end prematurely.

If anyone has had the same issue and came with a solution please share it....
Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2018 20:21 #196717 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Steering damper
A steering damper is never the answer to Death Wobble. It might help mask the symptoms but cannot solve the cause.

There are a lot of components on the front axle that can cause it and each of them have to be sorted out to solve Death Wobble properly.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Kabani
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2018 08:25 #196754 by Kabani
Replied by Kabani on topic Steering damper
Indeed, I found oiut the hard way.. I could have fix the wobble attenting more relevant points.... at least I got to spend some Jimny mod time... I like doing my mods...
Steering damper.... it helps.. I am running with no ARB and with steering damper... I feel the driving experience way better.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds