BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear wheel bearing?

More
31 Aug 2009 09:01 #1209 by mcjimny
Rear wheel bearing? was created by mcjimny
After an outing on Saturday i started to get a faint grinding noise from the o/s/r as time went on it got worse usually on deceleration. I put it down to the drums being full of crap as that corner particularly had a dunking. When i got home though the inside of the wheel on that corner was covered in grease and it was dripping out of the drum.

I presume its lunched the bearing and got hot, heating the grease beyond its working temperature resulting in it breaking down.

Its very similiar to the "name that sound" thread where it sounded like a dry bearing at first.

Just trying to confirm it really. Its done 55k of mainly road miles as there were no signs of any off road use when i bought it. Its done a few outings with me in the year i've owned it though so i presume its about due for something like this.

As usual any help much appreciated. Unless you tell me my diff is shot thats something i dont want to hear!

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2009 10:30 #1211 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Rear wheel bearing?
It may be that as the bearing has broken up and the halfshaft has not run true, it has pulled the axle tube seal a bit allowing some diff oil to seep out past the seal and the bearing and into the drum, so I'd change the axle tube seal on that side whilst your fixing it and change the diff oil. It's not much more work or cost so you may as well do it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
31 Aug 2009 10:47 #1214 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re:Rear wheel bearing?
It was my initial thought that it could be diff oil. But disimissed it as my conclusion above seemed more likely. I suppose once the bearing allows even a few mm of movement it would allow oil to escape then the problem will only get worse.
I'll follow your suggestion, as you say its not much more work.

On a side note how often should the diff oil be changed?

Once again this forum comes up trumps!

More
31 Aug 2009 15:21 #1216 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Rear wheel bearing?
Sounds to me like its the rear wheel bearing - did your wheel look like this....???

Now I wonder where you could get a rear wheel bearing kit from?????

Martin

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Aug 2009 15:40 #1218 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re:Rear wheel bearing?
SNAP! martin mine looked just like that!

Now where would i get all the bits from? Any ideas? :laugh:

Used a very good shop for other Jimny consumables before and will def use them again.

I try to do as much in one go to save all the repeat work ie my shoes look low so i'll replace when i do this so i know its done.

I know its reasonably inevitable and a down side to driving off road and I'm very good with the cleaning after and try to limit the mileage when its muddy but are there any tips to reduce the problems.

I figure its had any easy life up to now and its a combination of the mud etc.. and age related that means i'm replacing stuff. I'd expect to see more than a few outings out of the parts once i've done this run of jobs though.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds