BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Hub problems

More
18 Aug 2009 16:24 #1152 by Angelo
Hub problems was created by Angelo
Hi Guys

I just bought a 2001 Jimny 1.3 JLX soft top.
I cant get the 4x4 to engage,i got the hubs cheched out and they are not ceased,they have no damage and is greased,so we replaced the pipes that go to the solonoid but it still didnt solve the problem,the hubs wont lock,but if we take a pump to the pipe that goes to the soloniod the pressure seems to be enouh to get the hubs to engage,and once i take it out of 4x4 it does disconnect again,so i assume there must be a leak in the vacuum that engages the hubs.

When i put it in 4x4 the light goes on and it stays on so i assume that the computer thinks that it is in 4x4,it is a manual gearbox.

Is it a common problem?
What should i look out for?
If anybody could help me i will really apretiate it.

:dry:

I am pretty frustrated because the mechanic i took it to cant find the problem eiter.

Thanx
Angelo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2009 18:32 #1157 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Hub problems
I got rid of my vacum hubs and fitted some Sj ones if your hubs are ok and u got no vacum leaks, might be the diff mine was smashed to pieces. The light was lit everything seemed fine there was output from the t-box but when you turned the diff by hand nothing happened.

More
18 Aug 2009 19:17 #1158 by Angelo
Replied by Angelo on topic Re:Hub problems
Hi there

Its seems that putting manual locking hubs ia the best way to go about it.
I will go and some reaserch to see where i can get some manually operated ones and fit them asap

Thanks alot

More
18 Aug 2009 19:29 - 18 Aug 2009 19:33 #1159 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Hub problems
If the 4wd light comes on and doesn't flash then the controller is happy that the vacuum is enough. It uses the output of the vacuum switch to test this. Therefore it looks like the basic system works. You say that you use a pump and "pressure" to test the hubs. You really should use vacuum not pressure to make them work.

It could be a split pipe or it could be the small filter on the output of the solendoid that is blocked.

I have attached a DRAFT VERSION of my guide to the hubs. It is NOT finished but may help you understand how the hubs work

Martin

www.bigjimny.com/tmp/check_the_vacuum_system.pdf

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 19:33 by mlines.

More
23 Aug 2009 17:19 #1181 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Hub problems
I ditched my vacuum hubs for fixed ones, Darren at KAP can supply them with cut down bearing nuts and I imagine he can also supply freewheeling ones if you wanted them instead of fixed ones. I ought to fit freewheeling hubs to save wear on my front bearings / diff etc, but haven't had the time, bother or money!!!

You will need a bearing nut removal tool from Martin on the site shop or Dave at Bits for Vits.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Aug 2009 15:06 #1185 by Angelo
Replied by Angelo on topic Re:Hub problems
Hi guys.

Thanks for the feedback i got from all of you and thank you mlines for that detailed draft that you attached.

I have in the meentime decided to replace the hubs with the hubs off a Vitara,they also lock automatically but with a different method than the vacuum advances system,aparently they lock the moment that torque is aplied to them,all the exact details im not sure of but i have recieved them today and will get them fitted on Wednesday.

Hope that sorts my problem out.
Has anybody else done that and is there something that i need to be aware of in doing this conversion?

All the best

Angelo

More
29 Sep 2009 12:15 #1328 by tunguska
Replied by tunguska on topic Re:Hub problems
hi guys. I'm driving an '06 AT model with push button 4WD. The local workshop installed the AVM manual hubs but we ran into some problems. It goes into 4WD OK but it can't disengage from 4WD into 2WD even when the hub is switched to 4x2 mode. In the end, we had to remove the AVM hubs and reinstall the stock vacuum hubs. Is there a way to make the AVM hubs work with a push-button 4WD system? If so, how do I go about doing it? Detailed instructions / pictures would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds