BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stereo Removal.

More
08 Aug 2009 07:51 #1088 by JoshT
Stereo Removal. was created by JoshT
Hi everyone!

Could anyone tell me how to remove the standard stereo out of a Jimny '01 plate?

Thanks in advance,

Josh. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2009 10:26 #1089 by colin
Replied by colin on topic Re:Stereo Removal.
I dont know if you have the same stereo as I had when I bought mine second hand in UK. as I dont know if I had the original, I had an old tape thing in mine which measured roughly 1700mm x 60mm so here goes.
first disconnect the battery, then slide a small (sugg.5mm) screwdriver behind facing panel of the stereo. as I was throwing the old stereo out I knew I could do this next part, gradually prise the stereo out working your way around each edge and you will feel plastic tabs clipping the stereo in place. its a matter of clipping these to the front of the securing panel and then pulling the stereo out (do not worry about clipping any wires as they are all at the back of the stereo and nowhere near the front) once you have the stereo out just unplug the connections at the back then re-connect your battery. hope I was of some help. ps. mounting speakers on grommets for household electrical switch boxes will give any new speakers a little shock absorption

More
08 Aug 2009 11:12 #1091 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Stereo Removal.
You can buy for a couple of quid in Halfords Stereo removal pins for some makes. My Jimny has an aftermarket stereo in already so it's been done for me, and it was hanging half out when I got it, so I had to fit it myself.

Take a piccie and let us see and it might help to show how your particular one fits.

You don't want to start running a screwdriver round the outside toomuch as you could ruin your dash. It's only plastic after all! Car stereo thieves do that, but it's not their car!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Aug 2009 13:38 #1093 by colin
hey I'm no theif

More
09 Aug 2009 16:33 #1097 by JoshT
Replied by JoshT on topic Re:Stereo Removal.
Here are some pics. Hope it helps!

Thanks for all your advice so far! Do you know what the port at the back of the stereo will look like? Like how many pins it has ect, ect?

Cheers, Josh.

More
09 Aug 2009 18:57 #1100 by colin
your stereo is sitting within an aliminium sleeve/housing that could be 100-200mm deep, if you are replacing the stereo with one of similar dimensions try and keep the sleeve intact as it is universal and it will fit your new stereo, remove the black plastic trim from around the edge of the stereo, and as said before (sorry kirkynuts) slide a small screwdriver (slimmer the better)down the side of the stereo (either) and as the gap opens you should be able to see where the springy clips from the sleeve are holding onto the stereo, there is at least one on each side but could be two and possibly some on top and underneath as well depending how well this aftermarket stereo has been fitted. push the screwdriver through the springy part of the clip (might take a small effort) end lever it gently forward, working round the stereo for each clip you find, it is better to do this with a couple of screwdrivers as the idea is to bring the stereo forwrd sort of tyre lever style, if you locate all clips the stereo will slide forward quite easily. unless there has been some sort of modification the rear of the stereo should have socket and plug which is quite universal for the era, I changed from a JVC to an Xplod and the connector fitted both although the peakers came out on opposite sides, please let me know about your planned sound system as I could help (if the speakers in the front havent been chsnged do this first as it will take you an hour to recover from the fit of laughter you will have when you see them. :cheer:

More
09 Aug 2009 20:34 #1103 by JoshT
Replied by JoshT on topic Re:Stereo Removal.

please let me know about your planned sound system

Thanks for the info!

I will have a fiddle with it all tomorow. When you say slip a screwdriver down the side, could i do this through the column that has already been cut into the system? (Just above the red dot in the second picture down.)?

I am sure the head units are both the same size, below are pictures showing the stereo and the connections coming from the back of it. Do you think this will fit?

As for speakers, i want some decent quality speakers capable of a loud noise for a good price. :)

Cheers,

Josh. :D

[

More
09 Aug 2009 21:48 #1104 by colin
do not put a screwdriver in the slot you described this is for the face off to clip into. I mean put a screwdriver between the unit and the bare metal casing surrounding it. the way it was fitted was to fit the casing first and the the stereo slid inside it. The white connector is for speakers although I cant make out haw many wires is going to it is the unit stereo/quad/what? could be a bypass or could be an additional. the main block connector looks like it was wired straight into the loom or could be multichanger.its different from what my unit plugged into on mine both the JVC and the Xplod had a plug that went right into the back of the unit itself next to a 15amp fuse. at the front of the jimny next to the pedals and on the corresponding passenger side ther is no depth at all so forget about trying to get any bass out of there. after much searching I put a pair of 50W sony xplod 3.5" (about £20.00) in there for high frequency, on a 4 speaker system, better news behind the seats as there is more depth so great for mid range to bass, although the hole that is cut is only for 3.5" speakers there is plenty of room to widen it I couldnt find where the speaker cable that is already in there went so I had to wire new cable under the carpet if you find out where it terminates at the head unit end let me know cheers :cheer:

More
16 Aug 2009 13:12 #1142 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Stereo Removal.
Hello again,

Colin, I'm not suggesting you are a thief, but I still would keep screwdrivers in the toolbox for this job, Halfords sell the right removal tools for the Kenwood you are removing and they won't mark your dash like a screwdriver might.

I have used the screwdriver method before and even though I was being careful, I still marked the dash.

Sorry to disagree Colin but if a jobs worth doing and all that...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds