BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jackin points and tools

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 19:13 #9636 by Smoggy
jackin points and tools was created by Smoggy
hi does anybody out there know of the best points on which to use to jack the full front/rear of my jim with a trolley jack.
also im thinking of buying a torx drive set and wonder what sizes i need to cover

thanx in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2011 19:25 #9643 by supergaz
Best place to jack up on is the chassis rails.
Halfords have the best torx sockets on offer.
Hope this helps.

More
14 Jan 2011 19:31 #9646 by kirkynut
You can jack on the axles to prevent you having to jack the chassis up high until the wheels finally leave the ground.

The factory jacking points are the bottom of the radius arms - which you can do but there might be more risk of it slipping off the jack.

The chassis is fine, but as I say, you can have to jack it up quite high to get the wheels off the ground, specially on a lifted Jimny.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 20:58 #9660 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: jackin points and tools
Cheers gary, i thought that i'd read somewhere that you could jack up the full front or rear end under the diff housings. Is this an unsafe thing to do?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 21:06 #9662 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: jackin points and tools
i use the mounts of the trailing arms aswell, although have used the axle aswell just as a quickie cos i wasnt too sure about if it was ok to use :-)

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 21:06 #9663 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: jackin points and tools
the problem with jacking under the diff on jimny's is the diff is not in the center of the axle so it only lifts one side

More
14 Jan 2011 21:12 #9665 by supergaz
Its a pain jacking up a lifted 4x4, even a high lift jack is never enough. I wish I had my own 2 post lift, i've installed more of them than I can count on my fingers, toes and teeth!

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 21:19 #9666 by Smoggy
yeah ive found that jacking under the diff skews the car and lifts one side first but if its safe to do this then what about jacking under the longer driveshaft in the centre of the car, so it lifts evenly. Or would this place too much strain on the transmission?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 21:23 #9667 by Smoggy
ive got a high lift jack too gary and I agree, ive got some large squares of ply glued together (about 6'' high) to place under the jack. Bit of a chew about though. Just wondered if anyone had simpler way of doing things :cheer:

More
14 Jan 2011 21:55 - 14 Jan 2011 22:08 #9669 by supergaz
Don't put any weight on a driveshaft!

Got me thinking what to use! I want a new trolley jack, i've not been impressed with my 4x4 jack from machine mart. Im going to ask nicely at work how much i can have one of these for.

www.gemco.co.uk/Products_DK20HLQ_.asp

its a nice trolley jack with a great lifting height.
Just wish I had more height in my garage for a hydraulic scissor lift,,which can be sunk flush into a shallow pit so takes no room at all, my jimny just scrapes into my garage if I let wind out of my tyres.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2011 22:08 by supergaz.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2011 09:04 #9745 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: jackin points and tools
Hi all,

If you looking for a new trolley jack I would strongly recommend the 2 tonne halfords advanced usually its about 100 quid and I believe its on offer at the moment to. they also have a lifetime garuntee with it to.

and as for jacking i find it easier to jack off the diff and use an axle stand. then move the jack a bit further along and jack up the other side and again use an axles stand.

tom

More
16 Jan 2011 10:36 #9747 by kirkynut
Just jack on the axle tube one side at a time putting axle stands under. It's a pain the diff isn't central enough to jack on it but that's life.

Just don't get lazy and not use the axle stands as one day a jack will fail on one of us and I can't bench press a Jimny with or without a crushed body or limb!

The big black halfords jack is good. I have one in the workshop and their bottle jack in the car with a piece of wood to put under it.

Take care with high lifts.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds