BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

On Board Air

More
10 Dec 2019 21:44 #216374 by yakuza
On Board Air was created by yakuza
So my new ARB needs air.
Viair 400c with the 2.5 gl tank, will it fit under the frame? Or smaller system?
Or just to buy an arb single compressor, or something else?
I read here and there for days but still confused as to what is smart... :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Dec 2019 05:15 #216376 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic On Board Air
I knew a bloke who not having air conditioning on his land rover fitted an ac compressor and used that instead of a very expensive arb one and he reckoned that it could run simple tools as well as his diffs. Might be worthwhile looking at?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Dec 2019 06:49 #216377 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:On Board Air
I have a Viair system with a small compressor. It does the ARB locker and can inflate the tyres and run small tools

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
11 Dec 2019 07:15 #216379 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic On Board Air

Lambert wrote: I knew a bloke who not having air conditioning on his land rover fitted an ac compressor and used that instead of a very expensive arb one and he reckoned that it could run simple tools as well as his diffs. Might be worthwhile looking at?

So many good electric solutions around i think those would suffice for me.
I want to keep my AC :)
If I were to go down that route I would probably try to use the PTO to power hydraulic winch and compressor. But that would be the other car. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
11 Dec 2019 07:21 #216380 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:On Board Air

mlines wrote: I have a Viair system with a small compressor. It does the ARB locker and can inflate the tyres and run small tools

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have looked at yours Martin,. but have you tried to fit that tank under the car?
I do not want it inside..
Rust will kill it I know, but do you know if there is room?
Might have to re-route the exhaust a bit then maybe?

I have a few oxygen tanks from the ambulance I could use as a high pressure powertank or for a smaller low pressure air tank(s) below the car.
They are smaller and could probably fit inside as well. But they are heavier than the Viair tank i guess..
Like a small fire extinguisher.

More
11 Dec 2019 07:25 #216381 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:On Board Air
I have never looked to see to be honest. It would rust out pretty quickly as it is thin metal.

You could source a small lorry/van cylinder if you wanted something of exterior quality

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Dec 2019 07:28 #216382 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:On Board Air
I don't have air diffs but have looked long and hard at them and I decided that if I were to go to that length I would have a dedicated compressor only and not worry about additional onboard air. My thoughts were to try and keep it as simple as possible and therefore also keep the weight down too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Dec 2019 08:59 #216384 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:On Board Air
The cost is not so much different at all actually, ARB single and the smaller Viair on board systems (enough for our small tires) cost about the same.

Could also powdercoat any tank i get hold of, local shop with high quality does it for cheaps for me. Nothing like the US powder coating wich is a joke.
so any tank would do as long as I can fit it underneath.

Powertank regulator also cost a lot so the price difference between them is not the biggest issue for me.

More
11 Dec 2019 11:38 #216386 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic On Board Air
I have a 5cfm electric compressor and a small receiver in mine....compressor behind my seat and receiver on the prop tunnel.

It's noise makes me jump so an alternative is on the way soon.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Dec 2019 18:05 #216403 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic On Board Air
ARB compressors with the airline kit are ideal. Ive got the twin one with a small air tank under the back in Ulysses. Compressor under the bonnet isnt too noisy either. Fills the airtank via an air solenoid so I can isolate it full or empty as I want. Airline socket on the back. Its enough without the tank though...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2019 16:21 #216443 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic On Board Air
ARB ckma12 is on the way. Double was too expensive this time.
Tank later if I either find one or buy one cheap that I can fit underneath.
Usually buy stuff like this abroad, but this time Norwegian Arctic Trucks was cheaper.

Thanks for all help and nice pics!
Think I will place it approx like yours Riccy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Dec 2019 17:32 #216444 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic On Board Air
Nice one ;-)

I think the single cylinder one will work just as well, but maybe slightly slower for tyre inflation. The ARB ones are great and come with a good quality wiring harness and cabin switch.

To mount it where I have you will need to move the screenwash bottle, this gives you two threaded holes and you will find a third just beside the coolant reservoir bottle, these give you convenient points to mount a L shaped plate for the compressor. M6 bolts for the holes there and use some rubber washers between the plate and body to quieten it a bit. I just made some brackets to attach the screenwash bottle to the body as in pic above and found all the hoses and wires reach with no modification. Bonus side effect is the exhaust manifold heats the screenwash a bit on cold days.

You can easily buy push-fit airline adapters to use longer runs of the blue pipe, this is how I have fitted the tank and air socket further away from the compressor. I think I used 1/4" BSP fittings to 8mm pipe for it with some PTFE tape/compound to make up the slightly wrong thread (all ARB stuff is NPT thread for the Americans annoyingly and ARB air sockets use their own unique fitting, meaning you need their hose and accessories).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds