BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Radio with doors unlocked

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
05 Nov 2019 12:31 - 05 Nov 2019 12:32 #215388 by DrRobin
Hi,

First post and new to Jimnys, so this might have already been answered.

I have replaced my radio with an Xtrons Android head unit and although it is good it takes about 30 seconds to start up once the key is put in the ignition. I would like the radio to switch on when I unlock the car and switch off when I lock the car, so it is booted up when I start the engine.

Q1) Does anyone know if there is a wire which is active (12V) when the car is unlocked?

Q2) The alternative is to use a bistable relay from the door opening/closing remote CL, but this will involve more fiddling.

TIA

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 05 Nov 2019 12:32 by DrRobin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Nov 2019 13:02 #215390 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. The main issue you will have is the the ecu diverts an nonessential electricity to the starter motor on key turn so it will cut the radio every time you start the car regardless of what you power it from.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrRobin

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2019 14:07 #215392 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Jimny Radio with doors unlocked
Hi Doc,
I recently did a similar job on a Skyline (friend of my son and his crazy car).
The task was to pre-warm the amplifiers much like your radio. I used a 555 switch to trigger a 30 amp relay off the battery, I used the timer wire on the courtesy light for the bistable and the system seemed to work well. I am uncertain of the durability of these switches in a car environment but if it fails there'll be no amps, probably a good thing.
Chris

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
06 Nov 2019 16:09 #215421 by DrRobin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks for the replies.

I have found a bistable relay module on ebay that will do the trick. Connect the 'on' to the unlock pulse and the off to the lock pulse.

Lambert, once the radio has booted, you can remove the power (ACC) for a few seconds and it holds up okay, so mostly the radio will stay live except on the coldest morning when the starter motor needs to turn for a long while.

Chris, electronics and cars often don't go together, there can be some quite large spikes on the electrical system. Years ago I built a pager alarm for my car, it was based on TTL/CMOS logic and I had to diode protect every input to stop it from failing. I even had to add a back up battery and trickle charge it to isolate it from the main car power system, still this was okay as it would trip if someone tried to steal my battery. Still a relay is not going to be a problem.

Now to find the CL and make the connections.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

• Dano0404
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2019 17:45 - 06 Nov 2019 17:46 #215423 by Dano0404
Replied by Dano0404 on topic Jimny Radio with doors unlocked
Hello, no help with the early power up but how do you find this head unit? Was it a plug and play job? Also before you succeed in getting it to start up early it might be worth making sure the starter motor dosent kill the power to it? It dose to my cb radio. Just read the above post after posting this.

Good luck
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 17:46 by Dano0404.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Nov 2019 05:14 #215440 by Lambert
Fair enough if you're happy it will work. Also just to complicate matters don't forget that the Jimny is negative switching.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
11 Nov 2019 09:56 #215558 by DrRobin
Bi stable relay fitted and working. Lambert, I couldn't find the central locking unit so tapped in to the door actuator in the end, this is positive, but the relay unit I bought wasn't polarity sensitive.

I have configured my radio with a 10 minute switch off delay, provided it is fully booted then a short interuption is okay, it then uses a fast boot and restores my apps.

Dano, my Android HU was not really plug and play, I don't like most of the inbuilt apps and most of the features don't auto start a right pain until I installed Tasker.

Here is a summary

HU - Xtrons Otca 8.1 for Jimny - fits well;
DAB add on - Xtrons app kept searching, installed DAB-Z (free and really good);
AM/FM Radio - Rubbish, but will use it where there is no DAB;
iPhone link - will not recover track names, a bit useless
Music player - crap, installed PowerAmp and put my MPS on a card, really good
Torque Pro - really good, but won't auto start.
Reverse camera - really good
Sat-Nav - installed Here with off line maps - good, but better if online for jams.

I installed Tasker to auto start DAB-Z, Torque Pro and Speed of Sound (speed volume adjust, the HU speed doesn't work). I also installed two speakers in the back.

I have fitted a front camera as well, good for seeing what you are about to drop in to, but also the guy next door parks about 1cm from the front of my car and it is hand to drive right up to him. I had to feed this in via the Aux-IN input and put a rocker switch on the unused blanking panel next to the fog light.

It's a work in progress or an obsession according to the missus.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
11 Nov 2019 20:40 #215564 by Keithy
Diode from the starter wire into the aux wire at the ign sorts the radio on cranking.

I have an octacore Android unit in the other car.....forward camera was junk but the rear is good.......treated myself to tpms too.

Will have a look into dabZ later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrRobin

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
13 Nov 2019 09:07 #215589 by DrRobin
That's a good idea Keithy, thanks for sharing the tip.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
13 Nov 2019 09:09 #215591 by DrRobin
Sorry, forgot to ask which tpms you installed? The Xtrons model for this HU is a standalone unit and I don't like the look of it.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
14 Nov 2019 20:31 #215631 by Keithy

DrRobin wrote: Sorry, forgot to ask which tpms you installed? The Xtrons model for this HU is a standalone unit and I don't like the look of it.

I "think" it's the Xtrons one....external receiver and it plugs into the port on the HU

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
15 Nov 2019 11:16 #215655 by DrRobin
Thanks Keithy,

I have just got a Xtrons for my other car, it is Android 9 and has a special port on the back for TPMS, trouble is it's an Xmas gift and the missus won't let me have it until Xmas, boo hoo! It looks a much better unit and was cheaper than the Octa 8.1, wish they did this one in a Jimny facia.

In the end I have gone for a cheap USB TPMS from eBay for my Jimny, says it works with Android 8.0 and 9.0. I will get the Xtrons for my other car.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds