BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Hill descent

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 21:22 #214145 by Dorsetdumpling
Gen 4 Hill descent was created by Dorsetdumpling
Anyone tried the hill descent button in anger yet?
Only one I’ve ever used was on a Range Rover Evoque where you could control the speed from the dashboard display.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 09:59 #214165 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
I have and it's a fixed speed descent with no adjustment. Seemed to work fine, with lots of BRRRRRRRRBBBBBBB noises from the ABS :lol:

More
02 Oct 2019 11:20 #214168 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
I have used it, it is excellent once you get used to it. The speed does change 6mph in 4-wheel high and 3mph in 4-wheel low*. You only need a very light touch on the throttle for it to turn off though, so keep you foot away when going down hill.

* I think it is 6 and 3mph, might be 8 and 4?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
02 Oct 2019 12:29 #214170 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
That's cool, didn't realise it was slower in 4 low, nor that it turned off with the throttle! Definitely useful to know :woohoo:

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 13:15 #214173 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
Thanks Soeley, I'm learning too. I've had no reason to use it, but perhaps if it snows...
Chris

More
02 Oct 2019 14:50 #214180 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
I had a chance to use it whilst in north wales, taking on a steep forestry track decent. I had it in 4L at the time and felt it was very good, at no point did I feel anxious or unstable. As gadget has stated, the noise emitted from the ABS module is comical! Sounds like the old cartoon spring noise ‘dddooooooiiiinnggggggg’

More
02 Oct 2019 16:26 #214186 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
Used it a couple of times, on grass, coming off the hill.

Worked fine.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Oct 2019 16:57 #214187 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
While I'm sure it's nice to have a safety device on overwatch I would suggest that its more useful to gain some experience of how to regain control of the vehicle manually in the event of system not working for whatever reason. In this case that is by lifting the revs so that the wheels rpm again matches the ground speed of the vehicle and then gently slowing the vehicle without dipping the clutch. It requires practice but that is why training is never a waste of money.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Oct 2019 19:19 #214209 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Hill descent

Lambert wrote: While I'm sure it's nice to have a safety device on overwatch I would suggest that its more useful to gain some experience of how to regain control of the vehicle manually in the event of system not working for whatever reason. In this case that is by lifting the revs so that the wheels rpm again matches the ground speed of the vehicle and then gently slowing the vehicle without dipping the clutch. It requires practice but that is why training is never a waste of money.

That is good point Lambert :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Oct 2019 19:35 #214213 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 Hill descent
It's why I love my gen3, it's that basic that you as the driver have to apply thought and skill to what you are doing and that, I believe, makes for a more rounded driver. It's like the lane departure warning, why does anyone need to be warned they are not in their lane, its a distraction that leads to a false sense of security that in turn leads to a lack of concentration. I know that the argument ia that it is more about protecting other users of the roads but if someone is on their phone relying on the lane departure alert that is not going to end well. The above is an example and I'm not directing the comment at anyone reading this, I'm just trying to highlight my unease with many of the modern so called driver aides.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds